Items for animal shelter

Old 05-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Default Items for animal shelter

The animal shelter in my area wants pet beds, (which can be made from fabric scraps, but you can also donate empty medicine bottles (these they use for the animals' medicine). I also donate empty cardboard spools from paper towels and toilet paper. They make cat toys with these.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
The animal shelter in my area wants pet beds, (which can be made from fabric scraps, but you can also donate empty medicine bottles (these they use for the animals' medicine). I also donate empty cardboard spools from paper towels and toilet paper. They make cat toys with these.
Our local shelter has a really really long wish list. Things we may not even think of on our own. Like printer/copy paper for the flyers and applications that need to be printed out. Cleaning cloths and towels. Laundry detergent (for washing those beds and towels). Disinfectant and hand sanitizer wipes. Plus the usual cat and dog food, etc.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:54 AM

The shelter we rescued our girls from now has a place to donate aluminum cans. That is where we are going to start dropping off ours since the homeless shelter we were donating to went to a different system. The homeless shelter now wants the cans dropped off at a recycle place (Bottle Drop) is the name I think. Which is fine, but we can't drop off in bulk (10 -15 bags every few months).
So I am going to call the animal shelter and ask about dropping off in bulk at their trailer they have set up for cans.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

You might want to stuff some fat polyester batting or stuffing in with the scraps. I have made some for my local shelter and just using fabric scraps made them very heavy to wash. You might want to make one and take it in. The shelter can always use towels and any extra normal pet supplies.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You might want to stuff some fat polyester batting or stuffing in with the scraps. I have made some for my local shelter and just using fabric scraps made them very heavy to wash. You might want to make one and take it in. The shelter can always use towels and any extra normal pet supplies.
I made two pillows for the dogs when we have to bring them into the garage when it's cold. I stuffed them with fabric scraps, the dogs just used then as pillows to rest their heads on (they said they were to lumpy)......haha! When I added some leftover batting to encase the scraps they stated using them as a bed.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I just took a few beds by using old sheets cut to tri-fold and stitched around the edges then down the middle and they will dry easily. Cut 24"x72" then tri-fold. They dry in no time and can go into a hot dryer and hot water. You will be sewing through 4 layers around the edges but only 3 down the middle and across. You don't need batting this way.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
did you know if you wave hot air from a hair dryer over your empty pill bottle for about 30 secs, you can peel the label off cleanly?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:42 PM

Good to know, NatalieF. ;-)
Do animal shelters welcome old bed pillows?? I just washed one today in hopes I can donate.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 PM

tessagin, could you do a short tutorial about how you did the animal pillows? Thanking you in advance.
Ellie
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 AM

Great tip on using hair dryer to remove medicine labels!! They all come in various sizes, so could be used many ways. I use one to put old sewing needles in.