Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I've finally joined the ranks! >

I've finally joined the ranks!

I've finally joined the ranks!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Hope you heal fast!! I've never sewed my finger, bit I have "shaved" the side of my finger off with the rotary cutter.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Ewww, these stories sound awful and give me the shivers! I haven't done these things yet and hope I never do. I know how sore even a papercut can be so can't even imagine what the needle through finger or cuts must feel like! My sympathy to you but don't want to join the club.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I've read so many stories like yours on this site, so I'm extra careful all the time. I can't even imagine the pain and shock when you "sew" your finger or cut yourself with the rotary cutter. My sympathy goes out to you. I never lay my rotary cutter down any more without "disengaging" the blade. You all have made a believer out of me.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM

well come to the ranks
Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Oh my goodness -- that is my worst nightmare! I know someone that happened to and I cringe whenever I think of it. If it ever happens to me I hope I stay calm and just get the needle out.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM

The needle wouldn't come out when I did it - it was embedded in the bone. I was sewing a silk organza wedding dress so bleeding was definitely a concern. I had to reach around to disengage the needle and wake my husband with a needle stuck in one hand and a pair of pliers it the other.

You might want to soak your hand in soapy water for 15 minutes twice a day. Puncture wounds can be nasty.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM

I,ve joined the club also. I ran the needle thru the fingernail all the way thru--then jerked my finger and ripped the whole end of my finger open. I,ve been vigilent on where my fingers are after that. I feel your pain.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Back in the 80's, I had (still have) a Singer Touch n Sew that was a real work horse and I always said that you just couldn't stop that machine............until one day the needle went through my left index finger right next to the nail. Well that stopped the machine.....bound it right up but didn't break the needle. I'm stuck and no one is home so I had to use the wheel to back the needle out of my finger, then darned if it didn't bring the bobbin thread up through my finger and I had to pull that out too. Still gives me shivers to this day just to tell the story. Believe me when I say that I keep my fingers well away from the needle since then
Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM

I hate it that you've joined that club. I did this while putting in a zipper in high school home ec. I jerked my finger so it didn't break the needle but pulled straight out the side of the index finger. It really hurt. I have a better one though, put a steal #7 crochet hook through my thumb. I was trying to put a rubber grip on it and had a wad of paper towels pushing it against my thumb. Popped right through that sucker and I had to go to the emergency room to have it number and cut off so they could pull it back out. It never bled a drop and healed up quite nicely! Oh the things we crafty people go through.