Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I've finally joined the ranks!

I've finally joined the ranks!

Yes, I can now say that at least one quilt was made with blood, sweat and tears...after the machine needle went THROUGH the fleshy part of my left index fingertip while FMQing! Fortunately the broken-off part of the needle went all the way through the finger, and I was able to pull it out - it was almost 1/2" long and I don't feel any other needle parts in my finger. I have an entry wound and an exit wound and lots of bruised flesh in there, but I've been babying it with antibiotic ointment and protecting it with bandaids so all is well.

But boy, did that hurt!
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The needle in the finger does hurt like crazy. I did it twice in one week after never doing it for years and years. I hope the both of us avoid it for several more years.

Blog Entries
    I feel for you! That hurts BAD!

Ouch and Welcome to the club! And when was the last time you had a tetanus shot? Definitely get one if you've not had one!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

oohhh.......sorry to hear that! I know that hurts, I have done that. Cindi is right, make sure your tetanus is up to date. Take care!

sorry you had to join the club, I did last year.

Power Poster
    Another joining the club, OUCH! The puncture hurts but the bruising makes it worse.

Hope no more join the club. My rotary cut took 6 stitches and a ruined fingernail.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I have sewed my finger, I have tried to cut off the end of my finger which the Doc told me was going to cause as much damage sewing it back on as I had done trying to cut it off and attacked another finger to the effect of 3 stitches compliments of a bread knife and a bagel. Yes I do keep my tetanus shot up to date. I was hoping I was the only one clumsy enough to sew my finger. I am glad to know I have good company

So sorry. Hope it is healing well. I have done it twice--think I would have learned after the first time! It HURTS!

Hope you heal fast!! I've never sewed my finger, bit I have "shaved" the side of my finger off with the rotary cutter.

Ewww, these stories sound awful and give me the shivers! I haven't done these things yet and hope I never do. I know how sore even a papercut can be so can't even imagine what the needle through finger or cuts must feel like! My sympathy to you but don't want to join the club.
    ShirleyD

I've read so many stories like yours on this site, so I'm extra careful all the time. I can't even imagine the pain and shock when you "sew" your finger or cut yourself with the rotary cutter. My sympathy goes out to you. I never lay my rotary cutter down any more without "disengaging" the blade. You all have made a believer out of me.

well come to the ranks

Oh my goodness -- that is my worst nightmare! I know someone that happened to and I cringe whenever I think of it. If it ever happens to me I hope I stay calm and just get the needle out.

Blog Entries
    The needle wouldn't come out when I did it - it was embedded in the bone. I was sewing a silk organza wedding dress so bleeding was definitely a concern. I had to reach around to disengage the needle and wake my husband with a needle stuck in one hand and a pair of pliers it the other.

You might want to soak your hand in soapy water for 15 minutes twice a day. Puncture wounds can be nasty.

I,ve joined the club also. I ran the needle thru the fingernail all the way thru--then jerked my finger and ripped the whole end of my finger open. I,ve been vigilent on where my fingers are after that. I feel your pain.

Back in the 80's, I had (still have) a Singer Touch n Sew that was a real work horse and I always said that you just couldn't stop that machine............until one day the needle went through my left index finger right next to the nail. Well that stopped the machine.....bound it right up but didn't break the needle. I'm stuck and no one is home so I had to use the wheel to back the needle out of my finger, then darned if it didn't bring the bobbin thread up through my finger and I had to pull that out too. Still gives me shivers to this day just to tell the story. Believe me when I say that I keep my fingers well away from the needle since then

I hate it that you've joined that club. I did this while putting in a zipper in high school home ec. I jerked my finger so it didn't break the needle but pulled straight out the side of the index finger. It really hurt. I have a better one though, put a steal #7 crochet hook through my thumb. I was trying to put a rubber grip on it and had a wad of paper towels pushing it against my thumb. Popped right through that sucker and I had to go to the emergency room to have it number and cut off so they could pull it back out. It never bled a drop and healed up quite nicely! Oh the things we crafty people go through.
    Debra