Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview

Blog Entries
    You know, from all you have said, your current job is a real blessing, to you and to your boss. I think you should stay where you are. $100 for 20 hours is not good. And things should pick up in a few months. I live in Central CA, too, and we are suffering through my husband losing his business and now working at less than half his current salary. It's bad, but we are hanging on, and I will now have to work probably an extra 6 months or so before I can take my county retirement and go work somewhere else part time. You are lucky, girl!! Count your blessings and wait out the boredom.....go buy some paperbacks, or take up crochet!! :-) Just IMHO!!!!

Are you talking about interview vs job offer?
    I think you would get use to the order, I have worked in nursing homes and hospitals. I also hate to be bored, BUT if I could bring in a sewing machine or even better some hand work I would not be bored. I vote to stay.....Consider you would be working 20 hours for ONLY $100.00 that is $5.00 an hour. I could get use to being bored for $5.00 an hour.

JMHO

stay where you are, you'll know the right new job when it comes along, don't settle, you would definitely be settling with the new job because you have already voiced a negative impression.

Oh this is going to sound awful... if your any where close to me, and you decide to make the change, let me know, PM we can chat on location !!!

Can also see if NH would be interested in 2 days a week, fill in, so you can dip your toe in the water without a big plunge. that way you still retain if you don't care for the new spot.
    Whatever you decide, Good Luck !!

If you do volunteer work with a nursing home, try to do it at the one your mom is at. That way some people will never know when you are going to show up. It's a good way to keep your eye on what goes on there. If you see things that aren't right, you would be in a better position to voice your concerns to the powers that be.

Pray about your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mochasue
    I think volunteering is a great idea. If they will have me.
    Maybe you could volunteer to teach some classes at the nursing home? I have heard that many of the ladies in these homes love having something to do. And they love to have their nails painted, hair fixed, etc.

Just a thought.........

I would probably stay where I was. Things will eventually turn around and you will get more hours. Could you used the time waiting for the phone to ring to design things to work on at home?

By all means, stay with your current job. To double your work hours for just $100 more is not worth your trouble. Of course you would be busier at the nursing home, but would lose those extra days of quilting. In the free time at the office, work on crossword puzzles, brain teasers, etc., anything to keep your mind active. That will keep your brain excercised.

I would KEEP the easy job. Skip the nursing--For only $100.00 it's not worth it. volunteer OR get a 2nd job part time -end up w/DISCOUNT @a LQS or your fave place to shop.Easy to quit if you find, you enjoy more free time. I believe you would clear more than$5.00 per hr, even at min. wage---5x20hrs=100.00--throw in discount $$$$$$--you could just p/u for holidays OR maybe sales.

Sounds like you really want to stay. If you want to stop from being bored, how about taking some on-line courses in business management and once done you will be able to find a lucrative position. As for wanting to give to the retirement home, there are many ways you can incorporate quilting lap covers, walker bags, etc. for residents.
    Sorry to hear about your mom...my prayers are with you and your family.

I have been there too! I stayed where I had time to quilt on days off. It is better to be happy than to have the extra 100.00
    Teresa

Blog Entries
    Stay where you are..... working longer hours for small increase is not worth the extra time you work... By the way, there should be no smell in the nursing home....indicates poor hygeine conditions for clients. My aunt and uncle were in a nursing home and there was NO smell. Not a good place for you to work!!!!!

I worked in a mental health unit once. Many of the patients were incontinent, and some were just plain confused about where they should go (if you catch my drift). I never got used to the smell, and it made me downright sick after a while. Think hard about giving up a good thing.

I would stay where you are . Nursing homes do have bad smells. I personally would not like working at one.

Blog Entries
    Talk to your boss and see if there isn't some other job
    you could be doing, or studying for. You could do some
    of the office cleaning, or painting, or making a hand made
    quilt for the boss' wife or mother.

You said you wanted to use your brain, look around you
    and see what is there that you could change, and talk
    to your boss. Perhaps because you are like family, he
    doesn't want to work you too hard.

Blog Entries
    My husband was in a nursing home for 3 years before
    he passed, and I NEVER noticed a bad odor. With the
    exception of walking past open doors where they were
    cleaning up an "accident" it never crossed my mind to
    worry about odors.

I would stay where you are. It's not every job that you are fortunate enough to have people you love to work with and the ability to do what you want. I would bring some quilting in to do during the slow times. The difference in pay vs. the hours wouldn't be worth it to me. Volunteering is a good idea. It lets you decide if you really like that type of work.

Thank you all for your help. I am staying where I am. I have talked it over with my husband and he agrees. The time off is priceless and I will be bring my sewing machine to work. I have plenty of office space. I have mentioned it to one of the girls that works in the office next door to us and she wants me to make a quilt for her and she is even going to pay me! WOW! Now that's awesome!

Also, I am a notary and I just got asked to do a notary for $150 on Monday - my day off from my job. Well, how do you like that! Just earned some extra money! I think that just proved you all right. Stay at my current job and I can make some extra money on my days off sometime!

besides, you would never have got used to the smell. never. it gets in your hair, your clothes, everywhere. you keep thinking that everyone can smell it on you.
    it takes a special kind of person to do work like that and if you're concerned with it now, stay where you are.

p.s. i visited my mom in long-term care every day for years, and the smell just followed me home. long after she died i could still smell it.

Sounds like you have an ideal job now. I would really hesitate to leave something like your current job, even though it is slow and boring, unless it was financially worthwhile. I am retired and love it. I know days can be long at jobs that are slow, but the tradeoff just doesn't seem worth it.

I'd say keep your job and look for a fun part time job!!

I volunteer at our local healthcare and love it. If I were younger I would work there. The residents are so sweet (most of them) and need special care. My granddaughter works at two facilities and they love her. She is one of those special caring people. I say, give it a try. The smells do come and go.

Enjoying your work is more important than the money you make. If you are currently bored, look for a new job, but don't go into one that you already sound as if you aren't going to like any better.

If you have a job where you are respected, and you enjoy the hours and the money is good, I would stay with it. The economy is so unstable right now, I would be reluctant to give up a good thing. 100.00 more for 20 hours more work doesn't sound that good to me. I ended my full time job last year, and work 20 hours a week/4 hours a day., and I love the free time i get to pursue other activities, quilting and animal shelter volunteer. I wouldn't go back to a 40 hours week job again, unless I were in dire financial straits. If you current employer treats you with respect, pays you well and works with you. I would stay until the economy is better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast