Job Interview

Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM

My husband was in a nursing home for 3 years before
he passed, and I NEVER noticed a bad odor. With the
exception of walking past open doors where they were
cleaning up an "accident" it never crossed my mind to
worry about odors.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I would stay where you are. It's not every job that you are fortunate enough to have people you love to work with and the ability to do what you want. I would bring some quilting in to do during the slow times. The difference in pay vs. the hours wouldn't be worth it to me. Volunteering is a good idea. It lets you decide if you really like that type of work.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Thank you all for your help. I am staying where I am. I have talked it over with my husband and he agrees. The time off is priceless and I will be bring my sewing machine to work. I have plenty of office space. I have mentioned it to one of the girls that works in the office next door to us and she wants me to make a quilt for her and she is even going to pay me! WOW! Now that's awesome!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Also, I am a notary and I just got asked to do a notary for $150 on Monday - my day off from my job. Well, how do you like that! Just earned some extra money! I think that just proved you all right. Stay at my current job and I can make some extra money on my days off sometime!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM

besides, you would never have got used to the smell. never. it gets in your hair, your clothes, everywhere. you keep thinking that everyone can smell it on you.
it takes a special kind of person to do work like that and if you're concerned with it now, stay where you are.

p.s. i visited my mom in long-term care every day for years, and the smell just followed me home. long after she died i could still smell it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Sounds like you have an ideal job now. I would really hesitate to leave something like your current job, even though it is slow and boring, unless it was financially worthwhile. I am retired and love it. I know days can be long at jobs that are slow, but the tradeoff just doesn't seem worth it.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM

I'd say keep your job and look for a fun part time job!!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM

I volunteer at our local healthcare and love it. If I were younger I would work there. The residents are so sweet (most of them) and need special care. My granddaughter works at two facilities and they love her. She is one of those special caring people. I say, give it a try. The smells do come and go.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM

Enjoying your work is more important than the money you make. If you are currently bored, look for a new job, but don't go into one that you already sound as if you aren't going to like any better.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:12 PM

If you have a job where you are respected, and you enjoy the hours and the money is good, I would stay with it. The economy is so unstable right now, I would be reluctant to give up a good thing. 100.00 more for 20 hours more work doesn't sound that good to me. I ended my full time job last year, and work 20 hours a week/4 hours a day., and I love the free time i get to pursue other activities, quilting and animal shelter volunteer. I wouldn't go back to a 40 hours week job again, unless I were in dire financial straits. If you current employer treats you with respect, pays you well and works with you. I would stay until the economy is better.