Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is this a joke?

Ouch! Maybe a typo??
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Wow! $788 for a 2011 sewing calendar? The pages are surely made of gold!

One would hope so. That doesn't make any sense.

Blog Entries
    Ask the seller.

That's the cheap one. If you click on the link that says "4 used from $787.50", this comes up --

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...qid=1422841806

I saw that, Cooky. I just don't understand it. I can't believe anyone expects to get that price. Shoot, I wouldn't pay that if I got all the items already completed and shipped! smh

My only thought is that it contains a recipe for how to make gold bullion out of old thread and fabric scraps.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

??? I have this one and some more years unopened brand new in box. A co worker knew I sewed and gave them to me each Christmas. Now to find someone to sell them too. LOL The first one she gave me I opened and put in my swing room. Nothing all that great about the patterns, I think most can be found on Pinterest now anyway. Certainly not worth that price.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Has to be a typo. Wouldn't pay that much for old calendar any way. I do have a calendar from a QB member that has patterns for everymonth and templates. Love to look at it time and again. Can't bring myself to take it apart or rip the patterns and templates out. If I need anyof the templates I just scan it and go from there. Funny haven't done that either yet since I have most of the templates. Love to look at it though.

Blog Entries
    i have two of them... nothing all that special, as previously mentioned. i think i used one which was a cute applique. i'm not one to keep up with turning the pages for the current date, so don't really use them that way.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm weird. Maybe it's because they're out of print? I once saw a Dean Koontz book listed for $250.00 because it was out of print. Or, maybe the seller is from out of the country and doesn't understand currency conversion....

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Hmmm weird. Maybe it's because they're out of print? I once saw a Dean Koontz book listed for $250.00 because it was out of print. Or, maybe the seller is from out of the country and doesn't understand currency conversion....
    That's what I'm thinking. Possibly even being priced by some computer - one person's system jacks up the price and everybody else's jumps theirs up too.

Amazon pricing is so weird. I put stuff in my cart way ahead of buying it just so I can watch the price fluctuate and try to catch it on the low end. Sometimes it adjusts by a single penny so you know that's a computer algorithm at work. No human would bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Sometimes it adjusts by a single penny so you know that's a computer algorithm at work. No human would bother.
    Huh. I've noticed that, too, and I think you are right!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Sheesh - they are sure proud of those calendars! Funny, I don't remember 2011 being THAT great a year!!

No I don't think it is a typo. When reading the reviews, these people were saying that there were books available from $787 to over $1,000. The reviews were saying every 3 or 4 days there was a new project on these calendars. Although the ones who purchased these calendars (according to the reviews) seemed content, I think they had to have more money than I would have to spend.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    If you look at the reviews they are from the year the calendar was issued. My guess is that it is collectible and that is the reason for the price. I don't think the people who wrote the reviews bought the calendar recently (look at the dates of the reviews) and paid that price. The $787 is the lowest price for this calendar with other vendors asking as high as $1083. Value is in the eye of the beholder and what the market will bear.

Blog Entries
    The price is crazy. If I had one I would surely list it and see if I could find some sucker willing to pay the price. That would buy a lot of pretty fabric.

Blog Entries
    the reviews seem to have been written several years ago and nothing was said then about it being over-priced. Not old enough or rare enough to have a price like that.

Sometimes Amazon puts in a totally absurd price rather than saying the item is unavailable. I was once looking for a book (I think it was a text book if I remember correctly) and the price was outrageous. After hours of trying to find an explanation or a person to talk to I was finally told that it is a way for them to keep track of inventory even when the item is not available, in case it ever does come back in print.

I wonder if this means that the Missouri Star Pattern Calendar that came out this year with appreciate that much ?

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!! Really?

I have a friend who explained these crazy prices to me. She said there is computer program that increases the price every time one of these is sold. Then the computer raises the price. She also said if you want it you should talk to the seller and get a reasonable price.

It must be a joke. Who would really pay that much for it?