JOKE: Tommy and Jenny

Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM

I would also like to add that Alzheimers is a terrible disease, and is not funny. However, most of us lose the elasticity of our memory as we age. And that, while frustrating, can be funny. Every joke about aging is not a joke at the expense of those with Alzheimers. I had to read the joke twice before I noticed the last line. It's funny without it.

To anyone dealing with this terrible disease, jokes like this may be hurtful. But for all of us who are merely aging with bizarre side effects, it gives us a chance to laugh at ourselves. I hope no one is offended or hurt....
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
If we don't laugh at ourselves, our foibles and mistakes, our embarrassments and hurts, our eccentricities and fears, then there's not much left but tears. Life can be a serious matter, but *we* don't have to be.

Rarely do jokes, stories, gimmicks like this intend hurt or harm. Everyone knows about the issue of alzheimers, none of us feel less than an amount of fear of it being in our own lives if we have no firsthand knowledge of it.

This particular topic was very generic and so obviously not intended to offend. Let's not focus on minimizing the things we can talk about, but on expanding the acceptance of what each of us has to say, even if it's close to home or personally unpleasant.

Jan in VA
Well said Jan, I agree.
Couldn't have said it better!! I agree too
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM

I thought it was funny. We have family who have Alzheimer's and I didn't find it offensive at all. I am 45 and joke with my kids about how I am getting old and losing my memory and hearing.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

I enjoyed the joke. It made me laugh. I am 73 years old, sole caregiver to dh who has been battling cancer for 10 years, so if I can read something to laugh about I consider it a blessing. I am also getting forgetful but dh and I laugh about it. Can't fight it so I just go with it. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 AM

Laughter cures. Laugh whenever you can and don't lose your sense of humor.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 AM

Funny!!! Funny!!!

Men?!!!!!!!....

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
If we don't laugh at ourselves, our foibles and mistakes, our embarrassments and hurts, our eccentricities and fears, then there's not much left but tears. Life can be a serious matter, but *we* don't have to be.

Rarely do jokes, stories, gimmicks like this intend hurt or harm. Everyone knows about the issue of alzheimers, none of us feel less than an amount of fear of it being in our own lives if we have no firsthand knowledge of it.

This particular topic was very generic and so obviously not intended to offend. Let's not focus on minimizing the things we can talk about, but on expanding the acceptance of what each of us has to say, even if it's close to home or personally unpleasant.

Jan in VA
So true.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM

My husband has said for years "When I turn 100, I want to be shot by a jealous husband"......my hat's off to any 93 yr old with that newlywed's stamina. Gosh, that was funny !!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

The part I found amusing (and unlikely) was the old guy ready - and able - for action at 85 - multiple times.

Maybe the moral of the story - mind over body????

There are a lot of things that start to malfunction in our bodies and minds - one may as well try to find the humor in as many of the situations as possible.

I also feel that no offense was intended.

(Although I can understand how one could feel sensitive about it - think how many men with ED would/could feel "sensitive" about this joke?)
Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

(Although I can understand how one could feel sensitive about it - think how many men with ED would/could feel "sensitive" about this joke?)
no more so than women with sagging parts, thinning hair and hair on their chins. aging is part of life. it's the price we pay for not dying. sadly, the longer we live the better the chances for things to go wrong. we can laugh or we can cry.

i have a siezure (and therefore, memory) disorder and plenty of times i don't know if i've been here already myself. i will not spend the rest of my life or let my family spend the rest of my life weeping for me. i know what's funny, even when it's me.