Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: July 20, 1969

MCH

July 20, 1969

Quite an exciting day... (a clue) a step for one man and a leap for mankind

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/30/8689481...urce=facebook#
    MCH aka PansyRose
    "Any day that you get see the morning, you've got work to do and a blessing to be."

I set on my bosses front room floor with two other girls from work and watched it.
    We didn't have a tv then. Funny thing, I still don't But it was exciting.

I read today the Smithsonian was doing a kickstarter campaign for Armstrongs suit
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...trongs-spacesu

I was pregnant with second son. I remember that event very well and also how uncomfortable I was

Thank you for sharing this article. I found it quite interesting.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

We had just settled in our new home in Salina KS, Schilling Air Force Base for Waiting Wives, my husband was in flight to VN when they announced it over the PA system. Salina is my home town so we had family to watch with too.

Oh, I remember that day! I had just graduated from high school and was ready to get off to college. It was a big day. I remember other space events, too, like the sad day the Challenger blew up.

I was working the late night shift at the phone company. Someone had brought in a TV and we all sat where we could see it. For about 20 minutes there was no incoming traffic at all. And since the office served Los Angeles and anyone nationwide needing a phone number in LA that never ever happened. But what I remember most were the number of calls right after from people who just wanted to make sure we knew they had landed, and some just needed to talk to someone and we were there and the only ones they could think of to call.

Well, I was 7 years old, pretty good memory, but not that good! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

We were on a 10,000 mile family vacation with my parents and two small children. Traveling up the coast of Oregon into the state of Washington. Listened to it on the radio and wishing we had a TV. Such exciting times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCH View Post
    Quite an exciting day... (a clue) a step for one man and a leap for mankind

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/30/8689481...urce=facebook#
    OH! how well I remember that day and that moment. DH and I were dating and just happened to be inside the McDonald Observatory at Fort Davis, Tx. when they landed and stepped on the moon. We went to the Observatory that day because McDonald had a part in that mission using a laser or some purpose. We were standing behind a roped area watching the TV and listening to all of the communication between the astrologists and mission control.
    There as nice sized group of people there- all of us totally mesmerized by the event and would probably have been permitted to stay for a long while except a bus load of people came in jabbering up a storm and would not shut up so everyone had to leave. We were not happy about leaving and some of the group really gave the bus group what for-not that it did a bit of good. There always seems to be a few who can ruin things for everyone else.

Remember that day very well. We had just moved from OKC to LR with our two girls. They were 4 and 1 at the time. We sat in front of the TV and my husband took pictures of the screen. They came outverygood. Good memories
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Blog Entries
    I remember that time well - even though I was only 7. I clipped photos and stories from the newspapers and made a scrapbook - I remember being impressed by the fact that the newspaper printed some photos in colour! First time I had ever seen that done.
    Valerie

We have a new TV network here called Decades. They take the date and discuss what happened on that day in history. Brings back a lot of memories. They had quite a feature on the moon landing.

I remember that day well. My month early daughter was 13 months old and still hadn't walked. But as the men walked on the moon, she took her first steps. Several years ago when I lived in TN we went to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL to re-live that day.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.