Jury Duty!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I was called to jury duty while I lived in Texas. It was a drunk driving case where there were injuries to the other person. The DA asked me how I felt about drunk drivers. I told him they all should be jailed and work in the morgue. I was dismissed from the case.
Having lived with an abusive alcoholic got me out of one like this. I knew another gal who had to serve on it. The guy's excuse for going to trial - "the cop was mean to me". A contemp charge would have hit me after I heard that one. Lucky for me I didn't have to serve on that one.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 AM

In Colorado, if you're called to serve and are retired, you don't get paid.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM

OK, I'll play devil's advocate...what if we lived where we had no jury trials at all but someone just made a decision based on a whim?

what if you had to go into the court and wait there every day in case you were needed instead of calling in and having the chance of at least sitting home and sewing?

What if, well, you get the idea. It is inconvenient sometimes to have to call in, but given some of the alternatives I choose our way...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I was called to jury duty while I lived in Texas. It was a drunk driving case where there were injuries to the other person. The DA asked me how I felt about drunk drivers. I told him they all should be jailed and work in the morgue. I was dismissed from the case.
I got called for jury duty for the month of March and dates are shown for proposed trials on the letter I got. This is for Tribal court which is separate from trials at the county seat. Tribal court trials take place generally on Thursdays and also some Fridays depending on case load. If you think off reservation trials are interesting well there is a whole other world out there. You call the evening before the trial date to see if you must come for jury duty. Most times things are settled out of court. I have strong opinions too about drunk drivers, throw the book at them and also domestic abuse, throw the beaters in jail. Couple years ago I almost got picked for jury. One of the questions by the prosecuter was this, "If you knew the person was guilty, could you find that person not guilty?" I said if they are quilty, they are quilty and must pay. I got let go because of that answer. Later I found out that the guilty party was let go because the police didn't go by the book when the arrest was made. Sure isn't "Boston Legal" or "Law & Order".
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Then the defendant's lawyer gets up, asks a few questions, then HE asks me "how do you tell if someone is lying?" At this point I'm a bit frustrated so I snapped back "well you guys know more about lying than I do!" meaning, of course, that they're around liars for most of their careers. Let's just say the courtroom cracked up, from the judge to the defendant! Do I need to say I wasn't picked for the jury? :| :| :|[/quote]

Good for you! Sometimes they treat the prospected jurist as if they are on trial with some of their questions. I like the one question I was ask couple years ago, "Do you know the defendent and can you keep an open mind" I said, "yes, I know him and I'll really try to keep an open mind". I got let go.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Then the defendant's lawyer gets up, asks a few questions, then HE asks me "how do you tell if someone is lying?" At this point I'm a bit frustrated so I snapped back "well you guys know more about lying than I do!" meaning, of course, that they're around liars for most of their careers. Let's just say the courtroom cracked up, from the judge to the defendant! Do I need to say I wasn't picked for the jury? :| :| :|
Good for you! Sometimes they treat the prospected jurist as if they are on trial with some of their questions. I like the one question I was ask couple years ago, "Do you know the defendent and can you keep an open mind" I said, "yes, I know him and I'll really try to keep an open mind". I got let go.[/quote]

It's interesting how some people think, isn't it?! What was that lawyer expecting?? "oh yeah, I know him, he's a scumbag, but I'll try to overlook it?" !! Sometimes I think they get so caught up in their own rhetoric, they forget to speak "human." :-)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Back in Massachusetts, we got a post card saying what day, but to call the night before to see if we really had to go. I got 4 post cards over a period of about 5 years, but only had to go once.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM

My husband is the lucky person that gets called frequently for jury duty. Here in OK you used to come in and stay until they decided if they needed you or not.

Now they have you call in the night before to see if you're needed. Most cases seem to be settled before going to trial, so most of the time it means no court. This new way is done as much for economics as anything. If you come in, they have to pay you even if you're not used.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM

I have done the jury duty twice here in Oregon. It is better than it used to be. The first time, about 10 years ago, it was a WHOLE MONTH of calling in every night. Now it is only 2 weeks.
The worst part is sitting around in the jury room waiting to be called for a case if you happen to be called in that day. I took an MP3 player and hand work (crochet with a plastic hook because of the metal detectors).
I am in Clackamas county and I hear they do different things in different counties depending on the population and the # of cases.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Colorado does the same thing. I brought a quilt block with me when I finally went, got selected and got busted with nippers. Ugh. I quilted anyway and bit off the threads. LOL! I guess I am a little crazy.