Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping >

just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping

just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping

Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM

oops, never mind, someone already posted the info I was going to tell you.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM

I shipped a small box from AZ to FL for my granddaughter's birthday. It also turned out several dollars LESS to use the priority box than my own box, even parcel post!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by mrspete
bummer, so the manilla envelopes (with bubbles in side) they cost more than if I buy a postal thingie?

Blessings, Ruth
If you are paying more than $4.95 to use the manilla envelopes for shipping and the cost of the envelopes too, then yes it would be cheaper to use the priority flat rate envelopes.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi! I'm new here, and love this site. I had to jump in here on this topic as this is what I did for 23 yrs.

You can send a padded mailer media rate. All sound recordings, books, bound printed matter can be sent media rate.

Keep in mind though, that this is the lowest class of mail there is. Also can be opened for inspection where first class and priorty cannot be opened by anyone other than postal inspectors.

Priority flat rate envelopes and boxes save a ton especially when sending overseas to our soldiers. With free boxes, it is a really great bargain.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by mrspete
bummer, so the manilla envelopes (with bubbles in side) they cost more than if I buy a postal thingie?

Blessings, Ruth
If you are paying more than $4.95 to use the manilla envelopes for shipping and the cost of the envelopes too, then yes it would be cheaper to use the priority flat rate envelopes.
Just a thought... the flat-rate envelopes are only cardboard, so they don't have the protection against water that bubble-wrap envelopes do. So you should always put your items in a plastic bag, then inside the envelope. It's also an extra layer of protection in the event that the envelope is handled roughly. We've had quite a few of our customers comment that the envelope arrived torn or otherwise damaged, but the fabrics inside were just fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Thank you all for this information. I feel much better for your help. Blessings. Ruth
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Google Goddess

Also you can can go to the post office website and they will send you free flat rate boxes as now they have 4 sizes.

It seems like my post office is always running out of them, grrr so now I can just order them online and they are shipped to me free.

Karen
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

The best thing is to use click n ship on usps.com....your flat rate postage is also discounted if you go ahead and pay online AND you get FREE delivery confirmation. Its the best way to go. You can also do the International shipping labels on-line including the customs forms.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Thank you for all the posts on this subject. I have learned a lot from everyone. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all the quilters and non quilters on this board.
Carrie
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM

I agree that flat rate is the best way to go, but there is a little thing to remember. I was on a long line for a while because they didn't have flat rate boxes out. The line was even longer after me and I didn't want to make the line again. I asked if I could pay for the stamp there too, and they wouldn't do it. They just gave me the box. I asked why, and they said that there is a weight restriction. I am not sure what the weight restriction is, but I guess if you are mailing books and magazines, be aware. They say that if it fits in the box it goes, but is not 100% true. If it is over certain weight, it doesn't go flat rate.

They have a table at the post office with the weight retrictions.