Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping >

just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping

just incase anyone is wondering about priority shipping

Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I agree that flat rate is the best way to go, but there is a little thing to remember. I was on a long line for a while because they didn't have flat rate boxes out. The line was even longer after me and I didn't want to make the line again. I asked if I could pay for the stamp there too, and they wouldn't do it. They just gave me the box. I asked why, and they said that there is a weight restriction. I am not sure what the weight restriction is, but I guess if you are mailing books and magazines, be aware. They say that if it fits in the box it goes, but is not 100% true. If it is over certain weight, it doesn't go flat rate.

They have a table at the post office with the weight retrictions.
But the weight restriction stateside is so generous though....it would be hard even with magazines to exceed that. You'd have to be shipping dumbbells or something, lol!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I believe that its 20 lbs. US...4 lbs. International...I could be wrong though.. (it tells on their web site)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM

Yep - so many times the shipping costs more than the item!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I went to the post office this morning and used a priority flat rate box to ship some material it was 10.70 for shipping. The postal lady told me that if I had tried to ship first class using my own box it would have costed me $20.50 cause the material weighed 6 lb. 5.80 oz..
The flat rate boxes may seem expensive but they really do save and I think we all need to save so we can buy more fabric. :lol:
thank you for the information, I don't ship out very often, but when I do its good to know. Penny
Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Originally Posted by Maride
I agree that flat rate is the best way to go, but there is a little thing to remember. I was on a long line for a while because they didn't have flat rate boxes out. The line was even longer after me and I didn't want to make the line again. I asked if I could pay for the stamp there too, and they wouldn't do it. They just gave me the box. I asked why, and they said that there is a weight restriction. I am not sure what the weight restriction is, but I guess if you are mailing books and magazines, be aware. They say that if it fits in the box it goes, but is not 100% true. If it is over certain weight, it doesn't go flat rate.

They have a table at the post office with the weight retrictions.
But the weight restriction stateside is so generous though....it would be hard even with magazines to exceed that. You'd have to be shipping dumbbells or something, lol!

The weight restriction for the boxes is 70 lbs. Also, I've pre-purchased flatrate stamps before to use in exchanges. You can also use regular postage - you just have to use a lot of stamps! Just make sure you're buying actual stamps and not the printed sticker stamps that they use - those (like metered mail) have a date restriction in that they expire after a day or two since the date is no longer accurate (or at least I've been told by postal employees).
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I just picked up a few flat rate boxes this morning. I think I've been severely over paying for shipping. Mainly, because the boxes haven't been readily available here. Now they've got a small box station to make it much easier. I can't believe how much $$ it costs now to ship...

Everyone don't forget...you can order these boxes ONLINE at www.usps.gov. They will actually send them to you!!! How cool is that???? :-) PLUS....you can buy and print postage ONLINE at that same site.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

she lied...at that weight it would have never gone first class...FC is under 13oz only.....
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Candace
I just picked up a few flat rate boxes this morning. I think I've been severely over paying for shipping. Mainly, because the boxes haven't been readily available here. Now they've got a small box station to make it much easier. I can't believe how much $$ it costs now to ship...

Everyone don't forget...you can order these boxes ONLINE at www.usps.gov. They will actually send them to you!!! How cool is that???? :-) PLUS....you can buy and print postage ONLINE at that same site.
and you can order, and order and order....and you still might never see them....I have ordered every week for the last month..still have yet to see one single envelope...AND you can only order 15 at a time...
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I was reading something on the board here recently, regarding if you tape the ends shut on these flat rate boxes, they can charge you more now? Any truth to that? I always worry about the ends holding, & like to get our moneys worth when I use these, so am curious?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I found out the other day that if all you're shipping are magazines or books, ask for the "printed materials" rate.
Use your own box for that. It was only $4.50 to send magazines this way. I had used a bubble envelope before and paid about $9.00.
Magazines are not allowed at this rate - as far as I know.