Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Hey, just wait. Went thru that many times with 2 boys. They left, came back, left etc After the third time, my husband advised them they door will only swing one way. Once you get over them leaving and then they come back, you wonder how you managed to all live in the one house. Once they leave, you spread out and then they come home and then you have to make room for them. It gets to be old after a while. You will adjust. beleive me. I did it and survived. Part of life. Good luck, stop crying and enjoy your free life. It will get better. Make some fudge and eat it all your self. Thats what I did a few times and it helps. No one to ask for any. LOL
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Ah the empty nest thing......take it one day at a time. Try to do something that YOU want to do each day. It takes a while to adjust but it sounds like you have a wonderful son.
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by virgwid
    My only child, my sweet little baby, just moved into his dorm today. I helped him move, helped him unpack a little, even made his bed, then he very politely kicks me out when I talk about rearranging furniture.

I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. When he was three he was diagnosed with something that was supposed to keep him institutionalized when he got older. Showed those idiots how much they know! Honors student in Honors dorm, with Honors scholarships.

Anyways, now its just me and my mother. We don't seem to get along much these days, but as she has not been on my side of the house for years, we may survive being alone together! :roll:

I thought I would be so excited for him, and I am, but I didn't realize it would be this hard on me. I've just been sitting here trying not to cry. Finally downloaded a really sad romance novel from my library, and had a great excuse to cry for a couple hours. Ok, now what? I was also excited as I could now quilt in the middle of the night (when I am always awake - work nights) and not disturb his sleep. Maybe I'll want to tonight. Right now you couldn't get me out of this bed and into my quilting room (dining room) at gunpoint.

Sheesh!! I am not normally depressed and whiny, but I sure am now. For those of you who have been there/done that and have the tshirt, what got you out of the big blue funk???? Virg
    Look at it this way: now you have more time (and less demands on your time!) so you can quilt more!
    Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 PM

I raised my sons to be productive and independent adults. I thought of this when mine left for college. I realized that I had achieved my goal. He is just going to college. He is not leaving you forever. Just think of all the mothers who have lost sons and would love to be able to see them off to college.
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Virg, I went through it double when both my girls went away to college at the same time - one for her masters, one for her undergrad work. I was a mess! You're going to cry - alot, but then you'll find the days will start to brighten and you'll have time to do exactly what you want to do. Try to stay busy, call up some friends and keep busy, or like you say, fire up your sewing machine in the middle of the night!! Now is the time for YOU!! Enjoy!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 PM

We were only able to have one child so I know all the feelings you must be going through. However, all those years he was growing up, I told myself, this is the first/middle/last time for whatever event he was doing so enjoy it to the fullest. Sure enough, he went to the university out of our area and I watched him grow into a magnificent man and family man today. Do not look backwards; do not long for those days of his youth for it will only drag him down knowing Mom is concerned. His calls will still come, his voice will still make you happy and one day long time down the road, you will become even closer than you can imagine regardless of the miles apart you may live. Good luck, get busy sewing and smile. It helps you and him.
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Hope this brings solace. My DS is 26 and just moved back into our house (transitional housing). He lived with a wonderful group of guys. About 6 months ago his girlfriend rented a room in the same house and recently broke up with him. Girlfriend can't afford to move and DS can't stick around girlfriend. Taking the high road DS moved out. I helped him move the last of his things yesterday. On the way back home I am the one that cried. It was such a great place for him with really good guys. Don't worry, he'l be back.
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM

I sent my son to college the same weekend that my mother passed away. Talk about a difficult transition time! That was 7 years ago and 25 quilts ago. Quilting and my job is what saved me. He has been home since graduation and is getting married in June, 2012. So I guess I will go through the blues again. I don't know what kind of hobby will get me through when he leaves for good.
    Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM

It was just as hard on me when DD oldest was taken off to school in'91 100 miles away. Then 3 yrs later DS, but 500 miles away.I cried both times. I missed each so very much and still do when they are home for a visit and leave again. It is just something each person has to work through. They also are missing you even if they pretend not too. DD told me a few years ago, that she was so homesick at first, she almost came home. She was living in a trailer in one of her grandmothers' yard, but she said Mom it just wasn't like being at home.DS gave us just enough time to make it home and called - "just to see if yall got home o.k." but I could tell in his voice, he was really homesick.
    Just keep busy and keep sending him letters, cards and nothing really mushy, care packages etc., but just something to let him know you still think about him.
    Please DON'T change his room out right away, because when he does come home, he won't feel like he's home if his room is changed into something else, he'll let you know when he's ready for that. I know from experience!!
    Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 AM

Make a special quilt for him. That will give you something to keep yourself occupied and give him something special too. Also just keep thinking how proud of him you are and I'm sure he is just as proud of him MOM even if he doesn't let you know it. HUGS