Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 AM

My youngest went away to college last year...I cried for days. I work 2 jobs but was ready and willing to go with him for the trip out there as it is over 400 miles away to help him set up for the first time but he didn't want me to. I worried and called him 4 or 5 times a day for a while. He is the youngest of 7 children, for the last 12 years he was like an only child. I know that I raised him to be independent but I guess I didn't do such a great job on myself. As I said that was a year ago, he doesn't come home as much as I wish he would since he is working and going to school but we talk to each other at least 3 times a week and as he told me - we both know that we love each other and no matter what we are always available for each other. My mother tells me if I hadn't done a good job of raising them they would all still be at home. Be proud of yourself you did a good job!!
    Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 AM

Thought this one good.

MY SON LEAVES FOR SCHOOL

My son leaves for school
    And he is less a boy
    And more a man
    Every day
    I am seeing it happen
    Right before my eyes
    And accepting it.
    Am I?

Then why must I remind him
    Of something
    He almost forgot
    On his way
    Out the door
    And rejoice
    When he seems
    To still need me –
    Or does he?
    And could he manage
    Through the day
    Without
    That particular
    Book
    Or pencil
    Or me?
    I think I know he could
    For he is less
    A boy
    And more a man
    Every day.

Rae Turnbull
    Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Those of us who have sent a child away to college, especially the first one, feel this way. It will go away and you can rejoice when she see your son soar into his new life.

Sending the last off to college is easier because now you know you'll have a sewing room :thumbup:
    Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Been there - done that. Cried a lot. But what hurts almost as much is when they come home for a visit and spend all their time with friends instead of you. It's been 14 years since he went off and I can still 'feel' it.
    Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Thanks, virg, for starting this thread and thanks to all who have responded. I've smiled and also had a few tears in my eyes as I read through all of them.

DS, last child in the house, left last year for college up the road, 45 minutes away. Home every weekend, every weekend! My empty nest wasn't so empty, all that worrying was for nothing.

He leaves next week for Halifax, Canada. Transferring. 15 hours away!!! He seems very happy and excited and ready to really spread his wings. I'm going to send care packages too. Have always wanted to get to Nova Scotia so maybe this will be my chance. Funny thing. DH and I were supposed to go to Prince Edward Island back when DS was 5 for a vacation away. DS got chicken pox so we didn't go. Now, may be my chance. But not for the move in. It's my second day with students so I can't go. I'm just as glad about that. That would be a long ride home with many mixed emotions.

So, glad to read your message about the stuff he forgot, virg. You'll be fine, he'll be fine and we'll be fine right along with you all!
    :)

PS May eat chocolate, will quilt a lot, (maybe a maple leaf quilt for DS but definitely will not be adopting anything - children or puppies!
    Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM

It will pass, slowly. Just enjoy visiting with him by phone, but turn loose Mom, he is groing up.
    get yourself busy quilting
    Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM

I was the same way and when he came home, I always teared up when he left and the dog always pooped on something of his after he left. We were both upset. It teaches how to do without him for when he really leaves home to get married. You will survive it...but it will be quite damp around your house for awhile. :)
    Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 PM

virgwid-
    How is it going for you, now? Have you settled into a new normal, as they say? Sending you warm wishes.
    Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Empty Nest Syndrome! Things will get better..... I agree..... eat chocolate and be thankful that he has grown into such a wonderful person!

Hugs
    Old 09-05-2011, 02:04 PM

My only child left for collage in 2003. To boot she chose a collage in a big city far far away. I know its tough now but you will get use to this stage in life. I found it helpfull to get out and try something new. I took a stained glass workshop with a few gals I work with. Keeping busy helps a lot. Hugs!