Keuring Coffeemakers

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM
SZQ

We have one and love it, buy k-cups on line. We all like different

different strengths of coffee so it works great for us.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 PM

I understand about the recycle worry - we are 'compost' people also. I read where they are trying to come up with environmental friendly pods but again wonder why they didn't pursue that at the beginning!
Originally Posted by Debka
My mom has one and loves it. You can get whatever you want for coffee (and cocoa, and tea) in terms of flavors or caf or decaf, and it's always fresh. It does get expensive to keep buying the pods, though.
I like using it when I visit her. However, my personal issue is that it is not "green". There is a good deal of waste every time you brew a cup of coffee, and I don't think the pods are recyclable. Also, the pods are packaged in a larger box (which is recyclable, being cardboard) but again, to me, lots of waste. We compost, and so we are able to compost our coffee filter and the coffee grounds. For me, the Keurig wouldn't be an option since we try to make "green" choices where possible.
So, if your recipient is of a similar mindset, h/she might not enjoy that part of it.
Not trying to be a "downer" - but just wanted to mention it.:-)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM

My question: the adapter so you can use regular ground coffee -- does that have an actual filter??
Would make cleanup & composting much easier if it does.

Debka & pheasantduster -- THANK YOU for reminding everyone to compost & recycle; nice to know I'm not the only one.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 PM

Yes it has a washable re-useable one.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM

We loved ours too, that is until it got the notion to shut itself off after every cup of coffee was made. I tried the vinegar cleaning method and it didn't do any good. Took it back to Costco and got our $$ back. We had it for the better part of a year before it got a mind of it's own. We will get another one after the holidays but not the same model.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 PM

The Keurig coffee maker is out of my price range too...but I did buy a Black and Decker "Cup at a Time" maker and love that when I only have time for one cup of coffee...is quick, and no waste of coffee...think it was about $14.00 and uses any coffee with a reusable filter.

Kim

FREE Quilting Newsletter