Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Killdeer Eggs Hatched!

Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    Thank You for sharing these pics. You were so lucky to get the new chicks. Don't you just love seeing things like this. I had morning doves nest and hatch in my yard this summer. They were so much fun to watch grow and learn to fly. They still come back to feeder every morning.
    Enjoy your babies.
    How cool! We have lots of those doves around here but I've never come across a nest.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the pictures. My Dad and I get these in our yards in the evenings- neither of us have ever seen them before. He has been in his house for 25yrs and they are new this year. Now I can tell him who his new feeder friends are. They are a very nice bird. They get along with all his other feathered and furry friends. He has a Blue Jays and a Cardinal and a Squirrel that sit and eat together off of his feeding shelf attached to the tree. He swears they understand english. Michigan and Ohio use to squabble at feeding time but after just one warning that they had to play nice or leave they are now behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. My Dad and I get these in our yards in the evenings- neither of us have ever seen them before. He has been in his house for 25yrs and they are new this year. Now I can tell him who his new feeder friends are. They are a very nice bird. They get along with all his other feathered and furry friends. He has a Blue Jays and a Cardinal and a Squirrel that sit and eat together off of his feeding shelf attached to the tree. He swears they understand english. Michigan and Ohio use to squabble at feeding time but after just one warning that they had to play nice or leave they are now behaving.
    How sweet, that they all eat together! I had to put squirrel guards on all of our feeders, to keep them from devouring all the seed.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Did you forget the fire ants in your list of predators. When we lived in Texas, we couldn't raise baby chicks because of the fire ants. Just broke my heart. I do love baby chicks and the mama hen clucking and tending.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Aww..so cute. I hope there are no hunter kitties running around.

How precious!

Looks like the mom is giving you a warning, beak wide open talking at you. Babies are the right color, hidden there in the pebbles, wise momma.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    Did you forget the fire ants in your list of predators. When we lived in Texas, we couldn't raise baby chicks because of the fire ants. Just broke my heart. I do love baby chicks and the mama hen clucking and tending.
    We do have lots of ants but they seem to be of the 'regular' variety, thank heavens!
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
    Aww..so cute. I hope there are no hunter kitties running around.
    Unfortunately, there is at least one cat that roams around here, at night.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Looks like the mom is giving you a warning, beak wide open talking at you. Babies are the right color, hidden there in the pebbles, wise momma.
    LOL Yeah, she was fussing at me but I was actually a decent distance away from her nest. I cropped the picture, to zero in on her and the babies. Before the eggs hatched, the parents would take turns on the nest. One would just watch, as I passed by. The other would get up, start squawking and run ahead of me, if I even looked that way.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

We don't have killdeer in Georgia that I know of.....interesting to learn about something new! Great pics too!
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Blog Entries
    How wonderful to be able to enjoy watching these wonderful birds nesting. Thank you for sharing.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

That's what those birds are! I did not know the name. I wondered what a shore bird was doing in the parking lot in GA.

I saw some in an Alpharetta parking lot
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
    We don't have killdeer in Georgia that I know of.....interesting to learn about something new! Great pics too!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    You gotta wonder how some species evolved and survived.

Awesome,,,, they our driveway.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

What a beautiful and elegant bird. I've never seen one before so thanks so much for sharing. They make an interesting nest, don't they?
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2