Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Killdeer Eggs Hatched!

Smile Killdeer Eggs Hatched!

Earlier this month, we found a Killdeer nest in our yard. We've been watching it and today finally saw the new chicks! The hatched pictures were taken from a distance; I didn't want to cause an upset, by getting too close to the chicks.

Name:  KilldeerNest.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  473.5 KBName:  KilldeerAndChicks27July2014.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  283.5 KBName:  KilldeerChicks27July2014.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  130.5 KB
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Lucky you! I am sure you will enjoy watching the chicks grow.

Wonderful pictures, thanks so much.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Power Poster
    Very cute! Not much of a nest though.

Oh my gosh! That's amazing. Thanks so very much for sharing.
    ~Sharon

Cool pics! Thing is..Mom has already moved them from the nest. She does that as soon as the last one hatches and dries off. It's to prevent predators from finding them. I have them every year in my yard.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Blog Entries
    Thank You for sharing these pics. You were so lucky to get the new chicks. Don't you just love seeing things like this. I had morning doves nest and hatch in my yard this summer. They were so much fun to watch grow and learn to fly. They still come back to feeder every morning.
    Enjoy your babies.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    That's really fun! Those little chicks are such fun to watch with the mom trying to get them to follow!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Not a very good place for mother to hatch her chicks on the ground. They must be so cute !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We had those in our backyard for a couple years! The mom would pretend she had a broken wing when we'd go out back. We were always so anxious to see the little ones, but we'd come home from work and everyone would be gone.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Oh they are so beautiful!! I had a baby bunny on my front porch this morning! one of my three cats let me know she saw it and so wanted outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Libster View Post
    Cool pics! Thing is..Mom has already moved them from the nest. She does that as soon as the last one hatches and dries off. It's to prevent predators from finding them. I have them every year in my yard.
    Yesterday, they had just recently hatched and were still in the original nest. Today, they're up and about, in the grass. :-)
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Here's a picture of one chick, I took this morning. For size comparison, that's a nettle, to the left. This was taken from a distance.
    I only saw the one chick; the parents had moved them to the tall grass (it won't be cut, until all chicks are more mature). Killdeer mature/develop longer within the egg, before hatching, than most other birds. By the time they hatch, they're about ready to run!
    Name:  KilldeerChick28July2014.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  123.5 KB
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Very cool. Lucky you to see this.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

mim
    I love to watch kildeer. As open fields get built with homes, there are fewer places for them. I imagine the stones warm up in the sun to keep the eggs and babies warm.

Thanks for sharing
    Mim

First, what a beautiful thing! Second, that must be the name of the bird(s) I see around here flying low in the prairie grasses..They are a pretty bird...

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    How awesome and thanks for sharing !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

That's what those birds are! We have them nest on the sides of the road next to the fields. The farmers are requested to not mow certain areas until after August, so that nests and habitats aren't compromised. Thanks for the pics. We had a HUGE thistle in our iris bed and just as my husband was going to cut it out, he spotted a wren nest right near the stem about a foot from the ground. Smart bird. The eggs were so tiny! Obviously we left it until the fledglings left the nest.

I had never heard of this bird before - I am so intrigued. Lucky you for having them and lucky us for getting to see your pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
    That's what those birds are! We have them nest on the sides of the road next to the fields. The farmers are requested to not mow certain areas until after August, so that nests and habitats aren't compromised. Thanks for the pics. We had a HUGE thistle in our iris bed and just as my husband was going to cut it out, he spotted a wren nest right near the stem about a foot from the ground. Smart bird. The eggs were so tiny! Obviously we left it until the fledglings left the nest.
    How cool, to find the nest! Were y'all able to take any pictures?

We live in the country and during nesting season, leave a large part of our property uncut. Even still, it's a wonder so many birds actually survive. Out here, we have predators left and right - snakes, raccoons, opossums, wandering cats, snakes, etc.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Not a very good place for mother to hatch her chicks on the ground. They must be so cute !!
    A lot of birds build their nests on the ground or very close to it. It is one of the reasons that cats can be such a threat to bird populations.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Baby killdeer look like puffballs on legs when they run--so cute!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    never heard of them. beautiful birds. I just love pictures Thanks Neesie
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

How special, thanks for sharing the pictures! In 2012 when we were camping down in Shipshewana one made a nest in an RV spot.... the park put up cones so no one would bother them, it was so amazing to see them sitting in the gravel and it was over 100* F with no shade for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast