Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kindle readers

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of getting a kindle reader for library books, etc.
    any suggestions. i know absoutely nothing about them.
    some have keyboards, some don't. wi fi?

I'm interested in the answers also. I've been thinking of getting one too. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Banned
    I too am thinking about getting the newest one
    Kindle Fire, I think that's the name
    Am also interested in what everyone has to say.

Blog Entries
    I have a kindle. And I wouldn't trade it in for anything. My husband bought it for me 2 years ago for my birthday. I have read more books in the last 2 years then I have in the last 20 years. When he bought mine, it was $249. Mine has Whispernet to download books which means, I can get books anywhere that I am.
    The ones they have now for $79 comes with Wi-Fi and has advertisements when the book is "sleeping" we got my husband one of these and he doesn't mind them at all. The only drawback he says is that he can only download books onto it when he is around Wi-fi.
    The kindle you are able to change the size of the font which is pretty cool if your visually impaired like me. You can also make the kindle "read" to you in either a man or a womans voice. I have even downloaded a few games. :)
    But I think you will enjoy reading a kindle. :)

You can go to Amazon and watch a video on all the different models. I've been thinking about it, too. I don't read books as often as I used to - I do lots and lots of audio books as they are great while you are in the car or at the sewing machine. Two things I do a lot. :)

Blog Entries
    my DSIL works at Barnes and Noble and sells the Nook. He tells me that the Nook color is better than the other readers. And i was talking to an ebook editor and she tells me that magazines, such as quilting mags, are not much good without a color reader. i don't have one, but wanted to put some thoughts out there.

Banned
    the kindle fire or color nook are your best bet. Far outpass the original kindle

Blog Entries
    Is the Kindle Fire still on pre-order or is it available yet?

The color Kindles and Nooks are all fine, but my boss got the Nook color and has now picked up a regular Nook with the E-ink technology because the color backlit screens do not show up well outside.

I wouldn't buy a quilt book for a Kindle or Nook anyway since I wouldn't want to have to look at it on a screen while sitting at my sewing machine and what if there are templates, you can't print from a Kindle or Nook.

I would suggest getting the 3G version no matter what, because I absolutely hate having to find a Wifi signal if I'm not home and want to access online content. I'll sacrifice color for 3G any day.

I will probably upgrade to the newer version of Kindle 3G and E-ink technology when they come out.

Blog Entries
    he,he. i don't even know what a wi fi is!!! I will have to look further.

Banned
    Thanks for all the info

My Hubby surprised me with a Nook Color for Mothers Day. Our library lends in a certain format and lucky for me it was for the nook. I love it. Was concerned that I would only be able to read books from B&N however with a pdf reader app. I am able to read just about anything. I purchased the anti screen shield and have no problems reading outside. You can also move items from nook color to computer so that way you can print things or save info.

I have a Sony Reader and I absolutely love it! Mine doesn't have anything fancy like color or wi-fi but I dont feel like I want for anything. It has a looooooong battery life, I can read on it pretty much every day for weeks before I have to recharge it. If you dont want all the bells and whistles I would recommend the reader! I think they have newer models too that have color and wifi as well. Plus the Sony Reader Library has lots and lots of free books, and new ones come out all the time. I have heard lots of things about Amazon and B&N not having much in the way of free books.....

Mu husband bought me the first Kindle about four years ago for Christmas- I love it, although it looks like an antique next to the new ones. Still working just fine tho.

I would definitely spend the bit more to get the one with 3G AND Wi-Fi- the Wi- Fi alone can be frustrating when Wi Fi is not always available or free (ask my sister how she knows!)

I too have a older Sony Reader... and love it... LIke *ZTAgirlknits* mines does not have the bells or whistles and no wi-fi..... so far I've never felt left out or a need for any of that.... DH bought mine because I too am vision impaired... and I make that font just as big as I want... There are tons of free books/cooks/ short stories/mag etc out there.... Many librarys do have things in ereader formats ( my small town lib does not) I have purchased 100's of books from ebay and amazon at rock bottom prices.
    I have several hundred books waiting on me at any given moment. I love it's size and yet so many books in it.
    and yes the battery is awesome... I read for weeks on end before I need to recharge it....

I finally bought a Color Nook about 5 months ago - I love it. I can download books instantly - and it takes less than 5 seconds. I always preferred Barnes and Noble so it works for me. Wi-Fi- is cableless internet - you do not have to hook up with a cord for wi-fi - it picks up the signal with your computer or e-reader. You can surf the internet with the Nook also - I have the quilting board on it and Facebook too.

Blog Entries
    thanks lots.

I have a Kindle 3G and I LOVE IT!!! Very easy to load up with books and take it to work. The beauty of it all is that no one can read the backs of the books I like to read!

(i have a thing for trashy romance novels...)

I love love love my Kindle. I have no wish to download magazines or photos- it's not big enough for that for me. However, I am a voracious reader. I love the convenience of it. Today, DH passed out at work and was taken to the ER. 7 hours later.... we came home. I might have gone out of my mind with boredom, because of course I just ran out the door- but my Kindle was in my bag. Ahhhh....

Blog Entries
    I love audiobooks also.

In fact since July 2009 I have listened to 412
    books using my iPod.

One of the things I love the most about audiobooks
    on my iPod is that I can let them stay there while I
    get all the books of a series (example: The Arcane
    Society by Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick/Jayne Castle)
    then I will listen to the full series of books thus not loosing
    a beat as to what happened previously.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    You can go to Amazon and watch a video on all the different models. I've been thinking about it, too. I don't read books as often as I used to - I do lots and lots of audio books as they are great while you are in the car or at the sewing machine. Two things I do a lot. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZTAgirlknits
    I have a Sony Reader and I absolutely love it! Mine doesn't have anything fancy like color or wi-fi but I dont feel like I want for anything. It has a looooooong battery life, I can read on it pretty much every day for weeks before I have to recharge it. If you dont want all the bells and whistles I would recommend the reader! I think they have newer models too that have color and wifi as well. Plus the Sony Reader Library has lots and lots of free books, and new ones come out all the time. I have heard lots of things about Amazon and B&N not having much in the way of free books.....
    My mom has the Sony reader and likes it but agrees that the Sony library is limited when compared to the Kindle. I think the key to this arguement is what books YOU want to read.

Amazon has really revamped a lot of things on their Kindle readers. From touch screen versions to color. You can now borrow books from libraries who subscribe to Overdrive, etc. If you live near a BestBuy store, you can do a hands-on comparison.

My DH and I do a lot of reading and buy mostly the discount books or used books. We looked into the possibility of buying one of these until we realized that the books would cost us so much more than we spend now. Trying to watch our money these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I have had my Kindle for a few months now. I have downloaded 80+ books and have not had to pay for any of them. It has broadened my horizon on reading. I was rather in a rut when it came to authors. This has helped me get out of the box.

I am also an authorized Kindle cover seller. (Credit to Chica&Joe.)

I don't think you will be disappointed if you order one. So handy to take to doctor's offices etc. I carry mine in my purse wherever I go. You never know when you have to wait. It's more compact than a book which is sometimes awkward to carry around.

Blog Entries
    I have the nook color that I've converted to an android tablet. LOVE it. I can read b&n books, amazon books, library books, and ereader books on it. I am not positive but I believe that with the kindle fire, you're limited to buying only at amazon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    why get a kindle or nook and NOT an Ipad?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast