Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen >

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Kitchen remodel-need tips on how to function without my kitchen

Old 02-02-2014, 11:03 AM

We remodeled several years ago and I remember washing dishes in the bathtub! At least it will be summer so lots of cooking outside and microwave what you can. It will be worth it.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Grill, slow cooker, microwave, and toaster oven. You should be good.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ldjojo View Post
Use groupon coupons with gift cards and they will go twice as far.

Can you explain using groupon coupons? Never heard of them.
Thanks,
Debbie
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Done it TWICE! You will survive. Worth the inconvenience!!
sandy
Old 02-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Been there - done that! We moved our daughter into her brother's room - then used her room as our kitchen. But, we were able to leave our gas cook stove in the kitchen and use it. Moved the refrigerator and table and whatever we could, into the bedroom. Only had one bathroom, so had to use the sink in there for dish washing, etc. We did not have any money at all for going out to eat - so we just got by. Then, when we were sure getting tired of all of this inconvenience, our carpenter had a heart attack and quit. We had a horrible time getting another carpenter to come in and take up where the first one left off. It was months and months before we had a kitchen again.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Can you say electric skillets crockpots and most of all TAKE OUT MENUS!!LOL.The first year my husband and I lived together we set up in the basement with the electric skipper. We finished one week shy of one year in the making cause we did it ourselves.Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM

It's not fun going through the experience, but once its done its worth it. I took way longer than expected and no water, gas or electric in the kitchen. That also meant no dishwasher. Coffee center was set up in our livingroom as well as them moving the appliances in the livingroom. Dust...cover the furniture. Paper plates, plastic forks, spoons, lots of cereal for dinner...hamburgers. Takeouts. People in and out of the house all day long...Good luck, you will love the outcome.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

It was a cold Iowa winter when we remodeled our kitchen so i cooked with an old fashion electric skillet, a slow cooker and a microwave. I bought 2 tubbies to wash dishes in because I refused to use the bath tub. We used lots of paper plates. We were torn up for about 4 months but we managed. One pizza place in town delivers so we had a lot of chicken and pizza from them. The drivers would pop in the door while we paid them and say something like, "Gee, you didn't have that done the last time." or "That really looks nice! What are you doing here?" That's when we knew we had ordered out a lot. It was a long process because we did most of the work ourselves but we sure love the results. It will be worht all the trouble when you are done.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM

We gutted our kitchen in '08 and the whole house was unsettled. We also redid the dining room- basically lived in the bedroom. There was stuff in the living room from the dining room and the basement family room had stuff from the utility room which is under the kitchen. We had to do a downdraft vent for the cooktop that was vented through the utlity room. We set up the kurig, microwave and storage tubs with paper dishes, plastic silverware and the cat dishes and food. Our fridge was moved to the dining room, so sometimes during the day it was not accesable (sp?). So there were times that we had to go out the front door, through the garage to the other fridge to get something to eat. We ate out some, ate lots of cereal and sandwiches and microwave dinners. It was only for about 5 weeks. I was really sick of those MW dinners! LOL definitely worth it though- my old kitchen was horrible and the new one is amazing!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

We remodeled our kitchen a while back and did all the work ourselves (after work and on weekends). It took close to 3 months and by the end of that time I was REALLY tired of sandwiches. lol No, we did not set up a temporary kitchen and going out took too much time from doing the work. We did keep the fridge in the dining room. I can recommend BBQ, crock-pot, microwave, and sandwiches.