Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitten Adoption Tips

Help please. DD2 wants 1-2 kittens. We have never had pets.
    She is dealing with animal rescue, etc. I insist on short hair. What else do I need to know? My friend said watch out for houseplants. We have a large apartment. They will not go outdoors. I'm just the Mom who can't say know. Oh yes, daughter is 22 and will pay all expenses!

Make sure you have a couple of scratch post at least. They have to scratch...no way around it. When the kitten starts scratching your furniture firmly say "NO" and the move it to the scratch post or the post to the cat. When it scratches the post do the whole "good kitty" thing. One thing to remember, cats are NOT like dogs. They don't really "train" like a dog but will ususually comply if it isn't a problem for THEM. In other words, if you don't have something better for them to scratch...you can say "NO" all you want but they will continue to scratch your furniture.

yikes

If they are going to be strictly indoor cats, you can talk to the vet or shelter about having them de-clawed.

Cats are usually very sweet and easy to take care.

Hmmm...I find that paying the expenses is not the problem. The only issue we have had trouble in the past when it comes to kittens is the litter box. We had fights over her not cleaning it, then going off to college and leaving us the duty 24/7. She came back home and moved with Grandma for a year, even at Plattsburgh I heard the complaints about the box not being cleaned often. Now she lives with us again for one more week and I finally came up with a solution...I clean it. I am not trying to make you say no, just to look ahead to what is coming.

Power Poster
    I think de-clawing a cat is a terrible thing to do to it. Last time I checked into it, the whole end joints of the cat's toes is removed.
    How would you like to have the last joint of your fingers cut off?

One can clip and file their nails so they are less sharp.

The animals probably don't think that having their sexual organs removed as being "fixed" - but it makes their owners' lives easier.

Some plants are poisonous to animals. You might want to check that out.

Yes, that's what I am trying to do. But the litter box will be in her bathroom! She keeps in pretty clean. I don't go in there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If they are going to be strictly indoor cats, you can talk to the vet or shelter about having them de-clawed.

Cats are usually very sweet and easy to take care.
    When I had house cats, I had them declawed. It didn't bother them at all. They still scratched as though they had claws.

I agree, declawing is not good for the cat - it makes them feel defenseless and thus changes their personality for the worse.
    It is actually illegal in some countries, that tells you something.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I agree, declawing is not good for the cat - it makes them feel defenseless and thus changes their personality for the worse.
    It is actually illegal in some countries, that tells you something.

It is illegal in MANY countries. Australia, and almost all of Europe. This should give us an inkling of what this horrible practice does.
    When veterinary pharmiceutical companies want to test the effectiveness of a pain killer they test on cats/kittens that have just been declawed because it is such a painful procedure. Just look up declawing on the internet and you will be shocked. A surprising number of surrendered cats to shelters are declawed and surrendered because they have litterbox issues (not using it). Yes, many people have declawed cats and had no problems but it is a cruel un-necessary mutilation of the poor animal. And Bearisgray is correct it is amputation of the toe down to the first knuckle bone. So imagine all your fingers and toes cut off down to the first knuckle just below your fingertip!
    OK off my soap box now. My advice is to enjoy those sweet babies and take lots of pictures. They are kittens for such a short time. And two are so much fun to watch play.

boys or girls?

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    boys or girls?
    I have always had the best luck with boys. I find it is easier to introduce new cats into the fold with boys then girls. But that is just me. Many girls are sweet and loving too. It is just that all my male cats have been super affectionate.

Ok, more questions coming, I'm sure!

I agree, boys seem to have more personality.

But I would be concerned about the future. You say DD is 22? Where will she be in 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? Usually folks are moving around a lot during those years. Will she always be able to find an apt that takes pets?
    You may find they become YOUR cats when she can't have them in a particular living situation.

Power Poster
    Even if these will be DD's cats, maybe you should go along just to make sure that you also like them (and they like/tolerate you)

Also, for some people, the allergic reaction varies A LOT from cat to cat. There are some cats I can handle a lot with little or no reaction - and there are some cats I have a strong allergic reaction to -

in case you end up being their "forever foster mom"

We just got a kitten 3 months ago. A friend told us to get a spray bottle with water --to keep handy so when she would start scratching on something besides her post we would spray her. Now all we have to do is touch the bottle and she quits without spraying her.

Okay, I have been doing rescue for 18 years - both dogs and cats. So here are my thoughts which are biased in some ways. Take which ones you feel are right for you and your situation.

1 - It is always a better idea to have at least two. Then they will always have companionship. They are very social animals and need the interaction. And really two is no more hassle than one. Just a small amount more of food and a little more - er - output but one litter box is enough. Besides, there is very few things that are more fun than watching them play together.

2 - Either sex is great. The problem is if you want to add another kitten/cat later, it may be harder to win over a male to a new addition. Girls do not seem to care, unless they are a Queen B. then they don't want to add anyone ever. My situtation is four cats right now - one male and three females. We call it Booger's harem. Booger has no problem with male fosters being in the house, but they are always rehomed before maturity/hormones hit. Be sure to have them spayed/neutered as soon as possible, expecially if they are litter mates. There is too big of a chance of birth defects if they do mate. Most vets will do pediatric spays/neuters - they younger they are, the easier it is for them. Especially the boys. Most rescues require that they be fixed before leaving for their new homes.

3 - Never declaw. It is a partial amputation of their toes and can effect things like their walking and litter box habits. If you are getting kittens, make it a routine that they get the tip of their claws clipped off every week. You can use pet nail scissors or sharp regular nail clippers. I hold them in my lap and clip all of their front claws. Then they get lots of loving, petting and extra special treats. And this is the only time that they get these special treats - I use freeze-dried shrimp. Everyone has been going through this routine since they arrived in this house and know that it is part of the routine. All of mine have been in my home since they were very young - Booger from 4 weeks, Sissy from 4 days, Maggie from 10 weeks and Bella from 9 weeks. They don't know any other way.

The other option is the Soft Claws but they are temporary and can get very costly. And I think that it is harder to put them on than it is to just clip their nails.

4 - Shorthair -vs- longhair. The choice is yours. I have three shorthairs and the new baby is a Ragdoll, which is a double-coated long hair. Previously, I had a Maine Coon who was also double-coated. Everyone in my house gets brushed during their weekend spay treatment - as my husband calls it. They get their nails trimmed, brushed thoroughly, faces/eyes washed, and ears cleaned/checked. They also get occasional baths, which they are also accustomed too.

~ You didn't ask but thought I would add ~
    Make sure that you use a high quality dry food. I personally use Purina One Indoor Formula and Purine One Kitten. The higher the quality, the less residue there is. My guys are spoiled - they always have their main dry food and then they also have 'junk' food - Meow Mix or Whiskars dry. Then they share a can of food every night between the four of them. Sissy is the only one interested in bedtime treats, although Bella is catching on to bedtime treats now. The basics being as long as their main nutrition needs are covered with a high quality dry food, then the goodies are okay.

If I think of anything else, or you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. I have had cats all of my life and I hand-raise orphans (puppies and kittens) for my local shelter. Since we moved to North Carolina 4 years ago, I have raised over 125 kittens from birth to forever homes.

Oh yeah. I'm home all day. DD is at work!

We have two cats that were litter mates, 9 yrs old now.
    I can't emphasize enough - GET THEM SPAYED OR NEUTERED!!! Male cats will spray that awful cat pee smell! And females will howl and cry when they come into "heet". The younger they are when they get "fixed" the better!

Razz, he's 9 yrs old
    Name:  Attachment-108345.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  42.1 KB

Of course. That's why there are so many strays.

Shorthair is good and also try to get a young cat not a kitten. That's what we did and have never regretted it. Also don't go for a feral cat they never get accustomed to humans.
    We use cat food that helps fight urinary problems. Most rescue places have already spayed or neutered.

So how old?

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Help please. DD2 wants 1-2 kittens. We have never had pets.
    She is dealing with animal rescue, etc. I insist on short hair. What else do I need to know? My friend said watch out for houseplants. We have a large apartment. They will not go outdoors. I'm just the Mom who can't say know. Oh yes, daughter is 22 and will pay all expenses!
    Good luck. I love my kitties but I like them outdoors so I don't have any tips for you on keeping them indoors.

Age is your choice. Remember - young kittens (less than 12 weeks old) go first. Adults have a tendency to get adopted slower. Young adults (3 - 11 months old) can be hard to place because they are no longer the *cute* kittens but do not have 'established' personalities yet. Some people go for the older cats because they are more settled and don't want to deal with wild kitten behavior.

Great advice, thanks. I hope my daughter will be reasonable. She is fairly cautious!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast