Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Knee replacement - yeah or nay >

Knee replacement - yeah or nay

Knee replacement - yeah or nay

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Well just to put my 2 cents worth in-I had my hip replaced in 1998 (I was 43) and six months later had my right knee replaced. All went well and I was able to finally ride a bike again and be very active. However, in 2002 I fell down some stairs and hyperextended the knee with the prosthesis. Since there were no cuts, I did not go to the doctor and thought the swelling would go down. I knew all about taking antibiotics before dental work, or with any open wound. Three days later I went to my orthopedist because it was really painful and hot and he immediately sent me to the hospital from his office in an ambulance. I had a temp of 105 and my knee had a staph infection - resulting from a blood clot that formed when my knee hyperextended. It took three surgeries within 3 months with the last one requiring the removal of the knee prosthesis and a stay for two months in a nursing home and being on IV antibiotics for six months before we beat the infection. I was told by my doctor afterwards that he was not sure he was going to save my leg! I have never been so sick in my life.

I am telling you all this in hopes of preventing anyone from going through this ordeal. Even if there is no open wound, please check with your doctor if you have ANY fall.

As a result of the multiple surgeries, the tendons and muscles are very weak and my leg is not strong at all. I have to use a cane or walker and my other leg has reached the bone on bone stage due to carrying most of my weight. I have been told I need a replacement in that knee but the memory of my ordeal and knowing I would have to be back in a nursing home since my other leg cannot support me during therapy, I cannot even consider it. I am getting close to being wheelchair bound.

From my experience and talking with many people who have undergone knee replacements, it is about 50/50 satisfaction rate. I think it depends on your condition prior to the surgery and your willingness to work with it afterwards.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM

As a RN, I see this alot. I've taken care of them in the hospital, helped with surgery in the OR, and now am home health to change the dressings and help with rehab, etc. I'd sure suggest putting it off as long as absolutely possible. Once it's done, there is no going back. Surely there will need to be a revision since they don't last forever. Even the number of revisions are limited. The kicker (no pun intended) is that she is so YOUNG! For folks over 60, heck yes, get it done. For 50 and younger, get another opinion from a different ortho group.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 AM

I had both knees replaced three years apart. First one at age 75, the next one at 78. Absolutely thrilled with results. Feel I had the best surgeon in Ohio. Also, it is not an option not to follow direction in exercise as prescribed.
Pauline
Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM

I have both my knees replaced a year apart and have great results with them, I waited to long to get mine done, mine was bone on bone, with the bone being totaly wore out, so don't wait to long because it will make it worse on you, but I am doing fine with my knees, just wish the rest of my body was as good as my knees. I had the best surgon in Texas to do mine, I was really lucky with that one. I hope you will have a really quick recovery when you have yours done.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 AM

I had one knee replaced last year---aged 68 and am having the other done in February. not really looking forward to it but am pleased with this one so far. the only thing I seem to have lost confidence in riding my own cycle
, I can manage an excercise bike maybe because that's stabel.
I am glad I didn't wait until I was much older!!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 AM

I'm an old lady who had 1st TKR done at age 17 yrs ago & 2nd TKR almost 2 yrs ago. The difference is the huge improvements they've made in that span of time. The 2nd scar is maybe 4"....compared to the 1st which is nearer 14".
My advice is to find the very best surgeon....with a therapy set up.Go to the Dr who does nothing but replacement surgery for knees/hips. Check him out .Your DD,being active....should heal faster & the therapy will help with flex & walking. Good luck to her.

PS....just read she had the surgery.Rehab/therapy makes a world of diff. Making yourseld do a bit more, working a bit harder will pay great benefits.Listen only to the Dr & therapist.Let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Cat18
My 27-year-old daughter's rhematologist has recommended a knee replacement because she has no tissue left - it is bone on bone as a result of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.
THE PROS
1. She can only walk a block or two before her knee starts hurting.
2. Favoring her knee is causing a misalignment in her spine/hips.
3. If she is going to get the surgery, she wants to have it and fully recuperate before she gets pregnant.
4. She is athletic - snowboarding, kayaaking, climbing, biking, etc.

THE CONS
1. Some people she's talked to say she won't be able to ski or snowboard after the surgery because the replacement is not like a real knee.
2. Others have told her how painful they are or that the surgery didn't work

If you have any insight to impart, please share!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM

I know several people who have had knee replacements, and they swear they feel like they were 20 years old again...and they are all over 50. Their recovery times varied, but it was shorter the more time they spent exercising and getting the "kinks" out of their new knees.

I have RA, too, but only for the last 5 years. My joints aren't likely to go bad any time soon.

Hope she gets help so she can live a full life. Blessings to her!!