Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Know anyone who's had dental expanders? >

Know anyone who's had dental expanders?

Know anyone who's had dental expanders?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:36 PM

I used to work for an orthodontist. He used upper expanders where you turned the key at home. The upper expander works by separating the palate at the center and letting the bone fill in. Not sure how a lower expander would work but I do know the lower arch does need to be expanded at times. I haven't worked in that field for awhile, I'm sure there are new treatments available. This is a long term commitment. Be sure you are comfortable with and confident in the orthodontist you choose. When I worked in an ortho office there was not a charge for that first exam appointment. Get several opinions from different orthodontist: ask to see photos and ask lots of questions.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Our oldest had the upper type, she was 13. I know they do these things earlier now. This was 14 years ago. It wasn't fun, but it did help a lot. Hers was fixed, not removable. There is discomfort, and she found it hard to talk at first, but got used to it. She was old enough to turn it herself. She still had to have braces, but no teeth had to be pulled. She's had a gorgeous smile since she was 16 :)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM

My DGD had one. She wore if for only 4 months. She is now 14 yr and her teeth are straight and beautiful, no braces.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

My 10 year old had this done 2 years ago as a prequel to her needing braces this year. She's got the same small jaw I do, but also had a cross-bite, so the expander was also to get the teeth vertically aligned.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:16 PM

sending you a private message....
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM

I have noticed that in some kids it may mildly affect speech. Temporary issue that disappears usually in a few days. One kid told me it feels like talking with a mouthful of food initially.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Sit down with the orthodontist and have him/her talk you through the whole thing. If they can't or won't find a new orthodontist. I worked in the dental field for more then 10 years and just like doctors there are good and not so great dentists. Dental expanders are a great way to help on a small jaw but must be under appropriate supervision of someone who really knows what they're doing. Ask around when you see other kids with ortho work who they have and how happy they are. A candid response from a non solisited parent speaks volumes ( kids have imput too)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Two of my boys had them and now my grandson is going through the process. It's definitely worth the time and money to have them. If the teeth are too big and the space too small, the teeth will come in crooked. The expanders save time and money in the long run. ( I had the same problem and they treated it by pulling teeth out to make room!!!!)If my one son didn't have the process done, he would have needed surgery to lengthen his jaw bone. All three now have beautiful teeth!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 PM

My dd had this. Hmm before she began school. She never complained. I hated turning the key. Dentist explained it was such a small amount per day and she was so young. She never required braces and teeth are beautiful. Older sister never had this so she later had braces and lots of work before everything was fixed including some dental surgery....bless her heart.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:00 AM

My daughter had one and it worked amazing for her. She also just had a little issue with food getting stuck in it on occasion. Good Luck!