Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Koala Mittens for burnt Koalas

Blog Entries

Koala Mittens for burnt Koalas

Name:  Koala Mittens 001.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  202.5 KBWe have been having terrible bushfires here in Australia and it is only the start of the summer. Our wildlife suffers terribly, amongst them our beloved Koala Bears, a call has gone out to make mittens in cotton fabric to protect their burnt paws, the Koalas are rescued from the bush taken to vets and wildlife carers where our mittens will be distributed. Koalas cannot be returned to the wild if their paws are damaged as they need to climb gum trees to eat the leaves, their burns can take 12 months to heal. So I raided my stash and have made around 50 mittens so far, here is an example, I will post them off tomorrow and continue to make them as they are needed. I tried to make them in bright colors (no red yellow or orange, the colour of fires) silly me for thinking this.
    Last edited by Carol Wilson; 01-10-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    Aussie Carol

OH, That is terrible that they get burnt. How nice of you to make these mittins. Thank you!!!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    Those are so pretty, and I wouldn't have known they were for that. You are so sweet to make them. I love the animals too in our world. They are so precious, and innocent to all the hazards.

I saw a picture of one recently burned. So sad, thank you for thinking of them!

That's so kind of you for doing something extra special for the burnt paws.

They are such darling animals. While in Australia a few years ago I had the great pleasure to hold one. He/she was so sweet. I wanted to take him/her home. I feel just awful that they have suffered burns and I applaud your efforts to help them. You are very kind and thoughtful.

Power Poster
    I saw the poor little things with their paws bandaged and in mittens on the news. I am sure your mittens will be put to good use.

What a wonderful thing to do. Poor bears! I hope they all recover and that the fires can be put out.

Blog Entries
    how horrible they got burned and how nice of you to do this for them.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

You are an Angel for the Koala's, God Bless You
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

That's an epic thing to do! You are awesome to take care of the helpless Koalas!
    Margaret F

You are doing such a GREAT thing. I'm so very sorry that you need to make the mittens. You have done such a good job. I like the thought you put into your mittens. Hope your fire season ends soon.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for helping these beautiful animals. They are a well known symbol of Australia. Sorry to hear of the fires and the damage caused.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Wilson View Post
    Name:  Koala Mittens 001.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  202.5 KBWe have been having terrible bushfires here in Australia and it is only the start of the summer. Our wildlife suffers terribly, amongst them our beloved Koala Bears, a call has gone out to make mittens in cotton fabric to protect their burnt paws, the Koalas are rescued from the bush taken to vets and wildlife carers where our mittens will be distributed. Koalas cannot be returned to the wild if their paws are damaged as they need to climb gum trees to eat the leaves, their burns can take 12 months to heal. So I raided my stash and have made around 50 mittens so far, here is an example, I will post them off tomorrow and continue to make them as they are needed. I tried to make them in bright colors (no red yellow or orange, the colour of fires) silly me for thinking this.
    Heard on the radio tonight that the international response to the mitten request was so strong that they were swamped with mittens. They have sufficient until the next call out according to the lady in charge of storage. Lovely to hear people are responding to such a gentle cause.

That's a wonderful thing to do. Special blessings for you, Carol.

My niece sent me a link to the site where they are asking for these mittens. I would love to help out the Koalas however the site did not give a complete address for sending them. I have the pattern downloaded and will start as soon as I have a complete address for sending them. Can you help me?
    Thanks,
    Julie

Oh, jthe
    Oh, the poor little Koalas. It's so nice of you to make the mittens. They're really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by juliea9967 View Post
    My niece sent me a link to the site where they are asking for these mittens. I would love to help out the Koalas however the site did not give a complete address for sending them. I have the pattern downloaded and will start as soon as I have a complete address for sending them. Can you help me?
    Thanks,
    Julie
    They are starting that currently they have enough mittens. https://www.facebook.com/ifaw.au/pos...635256019520:0
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

http://www.ifaw.org/international/our-work/contact-us

Australia

6 Belmore Street
    Surry Hills
    Sydney NSW 2010
    Australia
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Thanks AZ Jane, for the complete address.
    I just read another post that says they have way more than they can use now, but I will save the pattern and work on some for later.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    http://www.ifaw.org/international/our-work/contact-us

Australia

6 Belmore Street
    Surry Hills
    Sydney NSW 2010
    Australia

Blog Entries

For those making mittens for burnt Koalas

The people collecting mittens have enough mittens at present thankyou so much. However, for those that have downloaded the pattern and have made them please forward them on, do not get caught like I did at first.

The template I used at first was too small, the template should measure 5 inches wide at the base and 6 inches high, they do look a little large but Koalas have huge claws that are needed to climb gum trees.

The spare mittens can be used for other wildlife too, as I said in my original post we are only at the beginning of our summer season and there are fires now raging in Western Australia.

Thankyou all for your concern.
    Aussie Carol

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    It has been interesting to follow this topic. Who'd have thought of putting mittens on koalas?!! They look so cute, but I know they can be dangerous with their claws. I hope your area does well through this fire season; many of us are freezing over here!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Hi Aussie Carol. thank you for being so kind to the little koala's . Love them. poor babies. I am glad to see things being done for animals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    It has been interesting to follow this topic. Who'd have thought of putting mittens on koalas?!! They look so cute, but I know they can be dangerous with their claws. I hope your area does well through this fire season; many of us are freezing over here!

Jan in VA
    The reason for the mittens is to give their paws a chance to heal, I understand that oinment will be applied to their paws then the paws are bandaged, the purpose of the mittens is to stop the bears tearing off their bandages.
    Aussie Carol

Last nights news program said they are now asking for "slings" for baby Joeys (kangaroos) who have become motherless due to the fires.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast