Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you make a curtain panel? >

How do you make a curtain panel?

How do you make a curtain panel?

Old 01-13-2015, 07:17 AM

Default How do you make a curtain panel?

My daughter in law has a friend that wants Frozen curtains for her little girls room, she has bought all the fabric and is asking me to make them. Is this as easy as my mind is telling me? But she wants them lined, so thinking of sewing right sides together and then turning them out and topstitching? I have never made curtains before. LOL Leave opening somehow for the rod to go through????? Any help will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 AM

When I've made lined curtains, I've only attached the lining at the top and sides. Otherwise it never wants to drape right. Just hem the bottom of both before sewing together, and make the lining about 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the main curtain so it won't show.

I like making curtains for the type of rod that uses clips on rings, so I don't have to make a rod pocket or tabs - so simple and quick to make. But other than figuring out the hanging method, I think it probably IS just as easy as your mind is telling you it is.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 AM

This is a good time to use your walking foot. I learned this from an person who has won awards for quilts, clothes, etc. anytime she is doing long seams like that she said it really makes a difference in quality
Old 01-13-2015, 02:56 PM

Not only do you want to hem your panels and lining before attaching, you want your lining to be about 3" (unfinished) narrower than your dec fabric. It really is as easy as you think. If you/requester are planning for rod pockets, those are easy as well...just leaving an opening about double the width of the rod. General rule of thumb is double the window measurement for 'normal' fullness or triple window width for lots of fullness. I find double is more than sufficient.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM

You-tube has many great videos showing ways to make curtains, from very basic construction to professional looking drapes. Just search that site for how to make curtains and you will find lots of help and with pictures. Good luck! Frozen curtains will be so cute!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:25 AM

I did a quilting design for my bedroom curtains - and then I made a "pillowcase" with the curtain and the muslin (natural) fabric for the liner, turned it right side before, ironed it real good and the hand sewed the bottoms, used those circle things that pinch the curtain and ran the on a rod. They turned out absolutely perfect. Surprised the heck out of me! Edie
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
When I've made lined curtains, I've only attached the lining at the top and sides. Otherwise it never wants to drape right. Just hem the bottom of both before sewing together, and make the lining about 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the main curtain so it won't show.

I like making curtains for the type of rod that uses clips on rings, so I don't have to make a rod pocket or tabs - so simple and quick to make. But other than figuring out the hanging method, I think it probably IS just as easy as your mind is telling you it is.
You can always sew shirring tape or pleating tape to the top as well. It all depends how your friend wants them to look.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Measure width of window and use 3 times that number for width of curtain.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 AM

Good Morning and thank you for so much wonderful information. I stopped by the DIL house on way home to pick up the fabric, she didn't buy enough, so now it becomes a challenge to me. She decided not to line it as it's a cotton fabric and she said her daughter will probably change her room in a couple months anyway. :-( So the fabric isn't long enough to cut in half and have 2 panels for the window, so I am going to split it down the center so I have 2 pieces long enough, but then she loses her fullness. SO, I am thinking, once I make this simple panel and hem it all around all sides and make a rod pocket, if there is enough left, I would like to figure out how to make about a 10" long ruffle to attach along the top????? And she gave me this impossible to sew ribbon to put on for trimming and wants tie backs, so thinking of taking pieces of the fabric and stitching the accent ribbon down the middle and then sewing it into a tie back??? Been planning this in my head so I don't mess them up. I am really a self taught beginner and have never sewn for anyone else before and basically, haven't sewn much of anything yet. LOL But she has faith in me, so I will do my best. Again, thank you all for the quality info. now I just have to figure out how to sew that ruffle to the top so it doesn't look like I just pasted it on there. LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 AM

Singer used to have an excellent book on drapes/curtains...I still have all their sewing books....maybe your local library might have some how to books available....curtains are fun to make......love my ruffler....