Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: lavender linen oil, homemade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy of Kansas View Post
    Yes, you can, but you still need the vodka, as oil and water don't mix, but the vodka helps to suspend the oil in the water. Be sure to shake it up be for putting it in your iron. I use essential oils and a cheap vodka!! lol
    This doesn't go in your iron. It is used in a spray bottle.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

This DOES NOT GO IN YOUR IRON. I'm sure the original poster meant well, however this mixture goes in a spray bottle, NOT an iron.

Quote Originally Posted by farnsworth View Post
    so I have seen this that you can use in your iron that you can buy and they are pricey but I just found this recipe
    2 cups distilled water
    2 ounces vodka
    20 drops lavender essential oil

and it makes me think can you use other essential oils? Does anyone know?
    It's worth repeating, this DOES NOT GO IN YOUR IRON.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Power Poster
    While I might prefer to drink my vodka, this sounds like a great idea. Also, FYI - I believe Martha Stewart uses vodka in her pie crust.

In my opinion Lavendar is one of nature's little miracles. I gave a bouquet of stems to a friend of mine and it got rid of the musty smell in her bathroom vanity cabinet. Think I read somewhere that bugs don't like it. Even the dry stems smell good. I've got a couple of varieties in my flower garden.

Wow, 3 years since a post on this. Here is my two sense. I started using this a few years ago. Remember when Mary Ellen had that tv show? She gave out the recipe and my sister still had it after all those years.

24 oz. distilled water
    3 oz Vodka (Potato vodka is preferred) the cheap stuff is usually made from grains and would not be as starchy so you need to buy the $12-15 dollar bottle.
    a few drops to 1tsp. of essential oil as per smell preference. Does not need to be lavender. I like the linen scent one myself. Found for a few bucks at Walmart.

Mix the essential oil with the vodka first before you add it to the spray bottle. Done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3