Life changing events

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Sorry for your loss. Make an inventory of everything you can remember in your sewing supplies including fabric, marker, thread, pins and etc. Make notes anytime you think of something lost include anything in your home or RV. This will help the insurance company. As you list items include the cost of replacing each item,(not what you paid). For mental recovery I can tell you go ahead and cry all you need too. Grief comes to each person in a different manner. Don't fight grief it ia a natural process of healing. If you feel counceling would help don't be timid about asking. Prayers for you and your familhy.
I bought a notebook on your suggestion and carried it with me in my purse today so as to note items as I thought of them. Previously I had been thinking as we went through stores, "oh, we had that", but forgot to write it down when we got home. You gave some good suggestions. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
Sewgull has good advice. I was in Hurricane Andrew and submitted a very detailed claim which was paid in full partly I believe because it was so detailed (down to spools of thread...). I took photographs of the soggy mess as I sifted through the destruction. Due to the fire/explosion you probably have less to photograph than I did, but you may be able to recreate/remember things by looking at photos other people took in your home. Many retailers keep records of purchases (Amazon, Lowes, etc.) so that could help you remember things also. The whole experience can be very depressing and it can take a long time for an area to recover--long after the rest of the world has gone on, you're still dealing with it. Just remember that "things" are just "things" and can be replaced. Feel free to PM me if you like. For many years, my reference point was "before or after Andrew"... Dianne
I didn't realize that stores might have records of my purchases. I will have to check this out. Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM

I have never been the type of person to seek help, but this experience has changed me which is why I wrote to this group. There were some great suggestions here as well as support. I am trying to learn to ask for help as I am finally realizing that many people want to help, but don't know how. As I began to list our needs we have gotten great support including a friend who hemmed a new pair of pants for my husband so he could wear them to the funerals of our neighbors. Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Remember too that if you paid for something by Credit card, your Credit Card company would have records too.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM

My heart goes out to you, can.t be any practical help to you, but hope it helps you to know that people are thinking about you at this sad time. {{{{Hugs}}} to you and your family from the UK
Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
My heart goes out to you, can.t be any practical help to you, but hope it helps you to know that people are thinking about you at this sad time. {{{{Hugs}}} to you and your family from the UK
It really does help do know that people are thinking of us in such caring ways. It is like hugs making us feel better.