Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life changing events

We recently lost our home, RV and a car in the gas explosion and fire in San Bruno. I would like to chat with others who may have had a similar experience about how they coped, did insurance inventories (especially their quilting items) and what is down the road in the way of recovery.

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Have no experience to help you.

I have no experience with that kind of ordeal but am so sorry for your loss. Welcome to the forum and hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Sorry for your loss. Make an inventory of everything you can remember in your sewing supplies including fabric, marker, thread, pins and etc. Make notes anytime you think of something lost include anything in your home or RV. This will help the insurance company. As you list items include the cost of replacing each item,(not what you paid). For mental recovery I can tell you go ahead and cry all you need too. Grief comes to each person in a different manner. Don't fight grief it ia a natural process of healing. If you feel counceling would help don't be timid about asking. Prayers for you and your familhy.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry for your loss. I don't have that experience, but I live less than two hours away - so if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. My heart and prayers to you and your community.

Sewgull has good advice. I was in Hurricane Andrew and submitted a very detailed claim which was paid in full partly I believe because it was so detailed (down to spools of thread...). I took photographs of the soggy mess as I sifted through the destruction. Due to the fire/explosion you probably have less to photograph than I did, but you may be able to recreate/remember things by looking at photos other people took in your home. Many retailers keep records of purchases (Amazon, Lowes, etc.) so that could help you remember things also. The whole experience can be very depressing and it can take a long time for an area to recover--long after the rest of the world has gone on, you're still dealing with it. Just remember that "things" are just "things" and can be replaced. Feel free to PM me if you like. For many years, my reference point was "before or after Andrew"... Dianne

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh..i am so sorry! we had a fire..but it was 100% protein smoke damage..they took every single thing out of the house to be cleaned. i had state farm and we had no problems with them at all.
    I can't imagine what you are going through!
    there are others here on this board who have had fires..
    "Adriensmom" went through it..her husband just posted a few days ago.

Agreeing to Doxie Mom, We went thur hurricane Hugo in 21 years ago. I have yet to look at the videos we took after the hurricane.
    If you would like to PM me please feel free. Sometimes it can be good to share your feelings. We all need friends to lean on.

I cannot help you but my heart goes out to you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have only had to deal with insurance pertaining to water damage. It's easy to show insurance all that you had, cause you still have it, only ruined.

I can't help but just wanted to say how sorry I am.

Oh NO!!! What a terrible experience that must be. I wish I could be of help...When did this happen? I hope no one was hurt! Please let us know of any way we can be of help! :-( :-(

{{{Hugs}}} to you. I can't offer any advice but would like you to know that I will pray for you.

So sorry! I know that must have been so hard............sending hugs!

I am so sorry for your losses. What a horrible experience, but at least it sounds as if family is alright.

I agree about making as detailed a list as possible. Because of the amount of your losses, I would sit down with a little tape recorder or someone who writes really fast, and quietly start in your mind at the front door and work in a clockwise manner through each room remembering as much as possible. Every detail from throw rugs to plants to pillows, to ... Put one room per page(s) and continue on. Do also for RV and car. It will take time, but you can do it. Spend only an hour or so at a time so you don't get burn out.
    Your in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I would make sure that you keep track of your current expenses for each day, including all receipts.

Oh what a mess that would be, my heart goes out to you, and yours hang in there !!

This must be absolutely horrible for all of you. As you can't go back to what was, the only way to look at all of this is as a new opportunity to begin again. What you lost is memories and stuff. The memories won't leave and the stuff can be replaced. Yes this will be difficult but you will have family and friends to help. Life isn't always smooth but a positive attitude will help you get through this rough patch. Enlist all the help you can and good luck with all of this.

I am so sorry for your terrible loss and I'm afraid I have no words of wisdom (or advice), but others have given some good advice. In September 1996 we survived Hurricane Fran, but compared to your loss, ours was minor.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I would make sure that you keep track of your current expenses for each day, including all receipts.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have been collecting them and stapling all of the ones with the same dates together even if the items were puchased with cash, credit card or gift cards as they are all items which we need.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Sorry for your loss. Make an inventory of everything you can remember in your sewing supplies including fabric, marker, thread, pins and etc. Make notes anytime you think of something lost include anything in your home or RV. This will help the insurance company. As you list items include the cost of replacing each item,(not what you paid). For mental recovery I can tell you go ahead and cry all you need too. Grief comes to each person in a different manner. Don't fight grief it ia a natural process of healing. If you feel counceling would help don't be timid about asking. Prayers for you and your familhy.
    I bought a notebook on your suggestion and carried it with me in my purse today so as to note items as I thought of them. Previously I had been thinking as we went through stores, "oh, we had that", but forgot to write it down when we got home. You gave some good suggestions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DoxieMom
    Sewgull has good advice. I was in Hurricane Andrew and submitted a very detailed claim which was paid in full partly I believe because it was so detailed (down to spools of thread...). I took photographs of the soggy mess as I sifted through the destruction. Due to the fire/explosion you probably have less to photograph than I did, but you may be able to recreate/remember things by looking at photos other people took in your home. Many retailers keep records of purchases (Amazon, Lowes, etc.) so that could help you remember things also. The whole experience can be very depressing and it can take a long time for an area to recover--long after the rest of the world has gone on, you're still dealing with it. Just remember that "things" are just "things" and can be replaced. Feel free to PM me if you like. For many years, my reference point was "before or after Andrew"... Dianne
    I didn't realize that stores might have records of my purchases. I will have to check this out. Thanks

I have never been the type of person to seek help, but this experience has changed me which is why I wrote to this group. There were some great suggestions here as well as support. I am trying to learn to ask for help as I am finally realizing that many people want to help, but don't know how. As I began to list our needs we have gotten great support including a friend who hemmed a new pair of pants for my husband so he could wear them to the funerals of our neighbors. Thanks everyone for your support.

Remember too that if you paid for something by Credit card, your Credit Card company would have records too.

My heart goes out to you, can.t be any practical help to you, but hope it helps you to know that people are thinking about you at this sad time. {{{{Hugs}}} to you and your family from the UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast