Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The Light at the End of the Carpal Tunnel--Or I hope It's the clear end of the matter. >

The Light at the End of the Carpal Tunnel--Or I hope It's the clear end of the matter.

The Light at the End of the Carpal Tunnel--Or I hope It's the clear end of the matter.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 PM

I had carpal tunnel in both hands. One hand was beginning to show permanent nerve damage, numbness that could become permanent. I took arthritis meds, then went to hand braces, but it didn't help.

I finally gave in and had the surgery done on both hands at the same time. My surgeon cut both hands through the palm to do the release. I couldn't use either hand for about a week. And then only minor use for another week.

It has been 10 years since my surgery and I don't regret it for one second. No more numbness, no more waking up in horrible pain, etc. And you can barely see the scars.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:12 PM

I too had carpal tunnel in both hands. It got so bad that my hands would get numb while I was driving so I knew it was time to have the surgery. They did one first and then the other one as soon as I finished physio on the first one. It seemed like forever that I only had one hand and couldn't do too much. I had my surgery 14 years ago and never regretted it but I think it is coming back again. If so, I would definitely have the surgery again. I used emu oil on my scars and they too are barely visible.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM

If you had a steriod shot it'll take up to 2 weeks for the pain to go away. Wear your brace, especially while you sleep, until you no longer have pain.

I've had 4 hand surgeries so far & am scheduled for the 5th surgery next March. I had surgery for tigger thumbs(both hands), fingers(ring & pinkie both hands), and carpel tunnel(both hands)and Dequervains Thumb (left hand). Now the right thumb needs done. "Dequervains thumb" is very painful. After wearing a brace for months & major pain meds I begged for a steriod shot. I just had a steriod shot in right thumb for it 3 weeks ago. The shot will only last so long tho. I needed to delay 5th hand surgery due to going thru cancer treatments last year. Need to give my immune system a break & time to rebuild.

I have not regretted any of my hand surgeries. I will highly suggest you seek out a "hand specalist" to do any hand surgery tho, as they are specalized in that area. Physical therapy, after surgery is a must to reduce scar tissue caused by the surgery, which will in the end give you better outcome. If scar tissue is not reduced you will end up with less range of motion. My Huz had hand surgery too & he was not expecting to have so much trouble doing things during recovery. He is right handed & had that hand done. I pratically had to hand feed him, LOL. If it's your dominate hand practise using the other hand before surgery.

One thing I found very helpful to use after surgery is a foot massage bath. My surgeon insists on hot water soaks several times a day after surgery. PT does this at each visit. Using the foot massage bath really helps to looses up the muscles in your hand after surgery & reduce swelling.

Ask for "New Gel" to use after surgery for scars. It's a piece of silicone gel you lay on the incision, covered with gauze. It really works. I got mine at PT, but many surgeons now have it in office. You have to wait until your stitches are out & incision is healed over to use it. By the time my PT was done you could barely see where I had surgery.

This gives a explanation of "Dequervains":

http://arthritis-symptom.com/tendoni...tendonitis.htm

Best wishes