Lightweight vacuum cleaner

Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Default Lightweight vacuum cleaner

I am looking for a lightweight vacuum cleaner with accesories. I have a lot of back problems and need one that is easy to maneuver. I have a couple of large area rugs to vacuum plus ceramic and vinyl plank floors to keep clean. Any Suggestions?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

well i got the Shark rotator pet one. the wand comes off and the dust catcher thing too an it goes onto a "caddy" with wheels so i can use the wand and attachments. I hate all vacuums so it's always an individual choice.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 AM

I have back problems too. Look into Bissell products. I bought a small Bissell vacuum that is light weight and has some attachments. I actually got a Bissell "stick" vacuum I use for quick jobs in the kitchen. Neither of them does as thorough a job as a full size vac but they do keep things neat. Also, for the area rugs consider a carpet sweeper. I got one and really like it for quick pick up.
I switched from sponge mops to a Swiffer mop. It is quick does a good job. I hate the cost of the cleaner bottle and the pads but it works well. I haven't tried it yet but I did find a way to re-use the bottle with your own cleaner solution on UTube. I'm going to try that and also try to make my own re-usable pads. The Swiffer solution does leave the floor slightly tacky for awhile so will be happy to use my own solution.
I found this solution in a newspaper column many years ago: 1/4 cup baking soda; 1/2 cup white vinegar; 1 cup household amonia. Mix all ingredients and add warm water to make one gallon. I mix it in an empty gallon milk bottle. Shake to mix everything. The warm water is for mixing it; you can use it cooled too. Great for cleaning painted woodwork, counter tops, vinyl floors - no need to rinse except if used on metal then rinse with clear water immediately.
These are the original instructions. I have used this on regular kitchen cabinet doors(not painted) and have not noticed any problem with the finish but it might depend on the exact finish on the cabinets.

Last edited by selm; 02-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM

I love my Dyson cordless. It's pretty lightweight and comes with the carpet rotating attachment, a brush attachment, and a pointed attachment.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM

I also got a Shark for the house and a smaller Shark for our 5th wheel...
Old 02-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I have had over the years, a Dyson, Rainbow, Bissell, Shark, Hoover, Black and Decker, and Dirt Devil, to name a few. I couldn't tell much difference in any of them. Now I buy whatever is on sale at Walmart and use it until it gets all gunky with thread and hair around the wheels and then buy another one. I don't have carpet but do have large area rugs and a dog. The Bissell seems to do the best job for me.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:47 PM

I have an older Oreck that I got when we moved into a two story house. It's very lightweight. I can carry it upstairs with one hand with no problem at all. Plus it came with a little tank type that's awesome.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:14 PM

I also have the Oreck. My housekeeper - years and years ago sort of required it because she was older and I have a two story home. I'm so happy that she introduced me to this product. It is very light weight and cleans very well. I now have my second one and its still a simple and great product. as cashs_mom says it comes with a little tank type hand held that I love for picking up piles of swept up doggie hair, my steps and of course my sewing machine. Its a bit pricey, but it lasts a long time. I've had the first one for over 10 years.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:40 PM

I'm one who won't buy a vacuum without attachments. I'm not a frequent cleaner but I am a thorough one when I do. I want my attachments! I'm also in a 2 story house. I want one on each level. We have a dyson animal downstairs that I love. Right now, after many cheap, lightweight ones upstairs, I'm left to lug the dyson upstairs. We have others upstairs but no attachments so have no value to me but DH won't get rid of them. My upstairs laundry is like the vacuum cleaner graveyard - except for the ones I've tossed out the front door when they've fallen apart one too many times. Sigh.

All that to say - I've yet to find a decent, light-weight vacuum with attachments. I also want one that does not use bags. I did have a little Dirt Devil upright with tools that did an amazing job. It would suck the carpet up off the floor. Alas, it was one of the ones that ended up in the front yard for DH to dispose of because it just clogged and fell apart one too many times.

I'll be following this closely!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32 PM

The Shark Navigator works well for me. It has lots of attachments and does a great job on carpet, hardwood and ceramic floors.