Living Frugally

Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM

We never use credit cards or debit cards. I know exactly what amount is in checking (as if all checks were cashed by receivers). I only carry a couple checks with me and some cash. When our meager income arrives, I immediately get gas cards at Costco and a gift card at the pharmacy for Rx($200+/mo). Those things are so necessary, I can't take a chance on not having enough cash. I shop with coupons and a list and stick to it, not fun but that saves money. We never buy anything like gifts or clothes anymore. I make my gifts to give or exchange my own books for paperback books to give after we've enjoyed them as a supplement for those handed-down from family. We've sold things like our couch and everything in the guest room. We buy store brands unless we just hate it (for example, there is a big difference between imitation & real Cheerios, but no diff of peanut butters). And, like many of you said, there are ways of cooking and storing that help save money. Our entertainment is tv, books, piano or guitar(DH plays, I listen or sing along), my quilting, though with less time for it and with stash, and our fun little dog... teaching a new trick is fun & free.

There are a few catagories we don't skimp on paying for.....
.........One is warmth. With my medical problems, ... cold hurts. I don't mind layering, but draw the line at gloves inside my own home. Sadly, no fireplace. Quilts, electric blankets, filled bags in microwave, hot water bags, all feel good but then I'm stuck in chair or bed. Hot shower/tub soaks feel good and hot drinks help my inside and hands for awhile. But I can't devote all my time to trying to get warm; I need to get something done.
.........Another is sources of keeping in touch with the world and family. We've downgraded our tv service but since we never pay to go out for entertainment, we keep it to enjoy our favorite shows and watch movies. We have our phones, not fancy, but with an unlimited plan of long-distance, for family. And, we have our internet services.
.........Medical care is never skimped. We go to appts, take our meds and do whatever doctors want. It's keeping us stablized with our disorders. We each need to lose 15-20lbs but that's not too bad and we're trying. I'm thinking that instead of getting each a health club membership, I might splurge and for a one time cost, get a Wii fitness program (just received an unexpected check from SS for $250). Tom can walk for exercise, but I can't walk due to feet, hips, balance problems. My 89yr old mom raves about her Wii Fitness. It comes with sports and games on it too that will add to home fun DH and I can enjoy together.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 AM

I live in an area where there are many choices in stores. The local Walgreen drug store has milk sooo much cheaper than the grocery stores, and our local dollar store has day-old bread mid-week (sells out fast). The condiments and cleansers are "good enough" for the price.

Big Lots and liquidators sometimes have canned and dried food cheaper than regular stores, and here in Florida. flea markets are allowed to sell expired food products. The savings is substantial, but you have to be careful.

I make rice and add different seasonings each night, sometimes a can of tuna, or some cheese. Same with beans cooked in the crock pot. Changing the flavors around makes it seem less like leftovers.

When it is cold, I take a hot bath, then leave the water in the tub to provide steam heat. The steam humidifies the air, and holds the heat better than dry air.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 PM

I'm not nearly as frugal as DH, he's better than me, but neither of us are as good as all of you!

I do try to buy his work clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift shops. I've gotten some really nice blazers and denims for me there too. We do not lower our water heater. I think if it's too low, it doesn't sanitize the laundry, but that's just my opinion. We do use our crock pot frequently. Last 2 summers we tried to grow our own tomatoes. Too many deer around to work on putting in a garden.

In the summer, we use the roasting oven out on our porch so we don't heat up the house using the oven. We go to the local movie theater for $3 movies. Another thing I used to save money on was internet. When I had dialup, I got it through Goodwill for $75 per year. Some arrangement they have with an ISP around here.

This year we have had to be more frugal because DH has been out of commision for months with a broken leg.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM

You all have such great ideas to live more reasonably! As I was reading your hints, I thought about what I do. (I live alone with my two cats.) This morning was my weekly trip to WalMart. When I thought about what I bought, it occurred to me that I bought the top of line food for the cats, and the bottom of the line housebrands for me. Never noticed that before. But it's okay - I don't know what I would do without my Phoebe and Ophelia.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Renee, you may not be out of line with what you buy for your furbabies... I had a vet tell me once that I could stave a pet to death on generic foods...that they were mostly sawdust fillers and little nutrition.
In that respect, I don't skimp on dog food for my babies...I'd rather pay a bit more now to keep them healthy than to pay a LOT more later for the vet!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Renee, you may not be out of line with what you buy for your furbabies... I had a vet tell me once that I could stave a pet to death on generic foods...that they were mostly sawdust fillers and little nutrition.
In that respect, I don't skimp on dog food for my babies...I'd rather pay a bit more now to keep them healthy than to pay a LOT more later for the vet!
Thanks so much for telling me that! I had never heard that before. I would not have changed buying the best for my 'girls', but I like knowing exactly why I do it!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM

I discovered I could save a lot more money by not shopping at walmart. Target has better prices on things like toilet paper and paper towels, laundry detergent, and kitty litter. Then I had a grocery store that doubled coupons. It got to where there were a few very specific items I bought at walmart because they were a lot cheaper there.

I've moved to a much smaller town and only have a walmart and a more expensive grocery store.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I have had to learn how to just cook for 2. It is hard not to overcook and wast so much. so, I am being frugal, and only cooking 2 potatoes lol.
And I have started using coupons, which I never did in the past
Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 PM

I made my own laundry soap. It actually works very well. It doesn't have the strong perfume smells of store bought, but everything smells clean. I'm now thinking about making my own shower gel.

We also now eat leftovers. DH has NEVER been one to do that, but he is now.

I love this post, its a great place to get ideas on how to not waste any money. I recently read the book "Total Money Makeover", I'm waiting for DH to read it, but am hopeful to implement this in our lives.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Rachel...how do you make your own laundry soap?