Living Frugally

Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM

My husband and I moved after living in the same home for 38 years. After sorting through a lifetime of stuff we decided we could live without a lot of extra things. I no longer waltz through Wal Mart type stores letting things fall into my cart. I enjoy keeping a home thats less cluttered, especially those "buy me now" monthly holiday items that you use for maybe 3 weeks annually if you remember to get them out of storage. At Christmas time we only buy each grandchild one gift and then help their parents pay for piano lessons, sports fees, and ect. I cook for two as others have mentioned. Often I make extra when I find a bargin at the market and freeze ahead for those busy times or when we get delightfully unexpected company at meal time. I don't bake, but my sister bakes from scratch as those mixes often are expensive and there isn't much in them.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Rachel...how do you make your own laundry soap?
I'd like to know, too.

I have real problems with the scented stuff, so I buy the scent-free kind, but I'd love a formula for detergent where I know exactly what I'm putting on my clothes and linens.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM

You can also wash with soap nuts. I did and it worked well.
http://www.buysoapnuts.com/howtouse.html

That link of Italian sausages is great! I've learned some new basic recipies. Thanks for that. :)
Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for this information!
Originally Posted by Charlee
I thought maybe with all of the financial problems I've seen posted about lately, and we have some of our own, that it would be a great idea to see some tips and tricks for saving money.

We are making use of the stores that offer discount prices. We have both the freezer that's on the fridge, and a small upright freezer.
Not only do we go to Grocery Outlet and Food4Less, but also to Cash and Carry....which is a resturaunt supply store that is open to the public. We have to watch ourselves closely tho, with just the two of us, it's easy to buy more than what we can use before it goes to waste. (especially with fresh vegies and fruits)

Today, at Cash and Carry, we purchased a 13lb package of beef...looked like skirt steaks, for $1.85 per pound. That's almost $1.5 a pound less than extra lean hamburger. A couple of years ago, we purchased a grinder like this one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16261705129024493142&ei=6DZyS8PyHJGYsgO-xbHLAQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQ8gIwAw#

So...for about 1.87 per pound (gotta count the plastic wrap) we have SUPER lean hamburger. We also make our own lean pork breakfast sausage, Italian sausage snack sausages and pepperoni. We just get pork butt at Cash and Carry for .89 to 1.19 a pound. Or at the grocery store on sale... Compared to say, Jimmy Dean sausage? Much better and much cheaper!

I intend to start making use of my bread machine...and using more dried beans, long cooking rice, etc.

So what are your money saving tips?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 AM

I usually buy in quanity and repackage and vacuum seal. During the growing months I have a garden, except for lettuce. Soil wasn't sweet enough and it was bitter. I also, plant herbs and dry them, parsley, thyme, basil, etc. We have blueberry bushes that produce mega quanities (Lord, I've given away gallon bags of them) and blackberries here.

I don't use coupons as much as I use to. I found that I'd purchase different things that I normally wouldn't with them. Coupons now only for the absolute everyday items now. Shop sales, freezer is to the point that I don't need to get meat unless I find a good deal or need something specific. Basically, I just shop the sales!!! Then stock up. We have 3 grocery stores right next to each other, so make my list and I'll hit all three, if need be.

I also don't buy a lot of pre-packaged food. Homemade here. Cost much less!!! I have even made my own Rice-A-Roni. The real only take out really is Chinese every once in a while or a pizza, but I usually even make my own pizza with my bread maker. Usually use my carcasses for soup, pot pies, homemade stock. I don't buy anything at full price!!! I'll wait for a sale.

Even if we consider this being frugal. Its just plain better for you and taste better!!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I love this thread! Mine is share, barter, trade! I hardly throw anything out, because I try to think of someone who can use it! My little Sister is on Disability, and I am a partime waitress, so we do each others hair, trims and coloring, ect. We walk for exercise, and pick up aluminum cans, asparagus, nuts, berries, ect. We trade coupons Because we both like different stuff, share movies, she gives me her hand me downs...shes a bit taller, so if we have something that doesnt fit, we pass it on!
I always share our extra produce with family and friends, a bunch of friends save their coupons and coke codes for me.....kind of like the pay it forward thread...I love to share!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 AM

We live so frugally and I have so many. A great number is what has all ready been mentioned. No dish or cable or netflix. Only an antennae. No caller id etc, phone bill $25/mo and we buy a $25 calling card from Dollar General which last 3 months or longer (750 min). Lights off in rooms not used or in. Windows open. Clothes hung out. Washer with front entrance uses less water. Turn down hot water heater. Crock pot use or grill in summer. This year was soooooooooooo cold in the winter. Our house is 3000 sq.ft. our heat bill was $60. We used wood stoves......nice and cozy warm. Cell phone...tracfone........buy 100 min/doubled each month...use for emergency only. Buy generic, or at discount groceries. And last but not least.........this year I am trying to only use my stash, and only buy backing etc.. Do our own car, lawnmower maintenance.........I could go on and on.........ha....
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 AM

we're a family of 8. Three years ago dh left a high paying job and took a job that paid 1/3 of what he had been making. he literally had no choice in it though. it was that or his health...emotional and physical. It has been a really hard 3 years! We also were (still haven't finished) a major addition to our house. So money is almost non existant around here. I keep our grocery bill as low as I can which some months is $400. I shop Aldi's and Sams for a few bulk items like cheese and some white flour. I cook from scratch. That is my biggest money saver. the kids complain sometimes because there is nothing "fast" to eat though. And sometimes I get tired of it too. its a treat for them to have cereal or poptarts for breakfast! When they do its store brand poptarts that are on sale or the big bags of cereal. I make lots of dishes that stretch meat out. And usually we are blessed with a deer or two in the winter to help. I process and package them myself since that way they are free. I also raise chickens and meat rabbits to help. By the time I gather greens and let the chickens out a time or two each week that cuts down on the food bill. Plus I sell eggs to help with their food costs.
We heat with wood in the winter...so $ except for gas for the chainsaw and our time. We turned off our cable and house phone. Dh works out of town a lot so the cells are a better use of $ that way it doesn't cost us to talk. I shop goodwill for clothes or make what I can for us.
Oh and I make a weekly menu and shopping list...that alone helps cut the $ I spend. No extras or unnecessary purchases.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 AM

Budget, budget, budget. No Credit cards and pay with cash no debit cards.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Renee, I agree, you are saving money by feeding pets a quality food. SOmetimes you can go to the websites and print coupons for the different foods.