Local Quilt Shops

Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Default Local Quilt Shops

For those of you who have never patronized local quilt shops in your area (if you have any), you might want to really pay them a visit. See what they have to your liking. Most in my area have great little specials that are an all time thing. One I go to a lot usually with a certain amount of purchase will give you a fat quarter, charm pack or even a small bag of candy(smaller pieces of fabric). They give you a card to punch. I also get tips and tricks if I purchase a certain pattern like the "Fold 'n' Stitch" wreaths. They try to make items from the patterns they receive so they can rate the ease of making. We have two lq shops and a sewing center (mostly machines and notions). All have classes at some time. Often if you purchase the fabric at the shops, you get a small discount. I don't mind paying their prices since I would have to pay shipping at some point in time. I don't purchase at the shops all the time but atleast 75% of the time. Any other time is usually estate sales or thrift for certain items not carried by lqs. If you have any near you it may be fun to atleast visit once in a while. Get on their mailing list or FB page. They often are able to help you with your machines or can refer you to some one who can.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:29 AM

tess: I agree. The Local Shops are a dying breed and I would miss them greatly if they were no longer around. Yes, I still shop at the big box stores like Joann's etc, but there is nothing like walking into a local store and knowing you are getting great service, nice fabric, and sometimes even need-to-know information
Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM

I prefer shopping at my LQSs rather than going to JoAnn's. Fabric is better quality. I'm on a very limited budget so only buy what I absolutely have to have. I'm trying to use my stash as much as possible.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a LQS I can get to by bus anymore. They do have a vast amount of knowledge that can help the newbie over the first hurdles in quilting.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM

I love going to the LQSs. They usually have a great variety. The employees are for the most part very friendly.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 PM

I go to my LQS at least 3 times a month when I go to Quilt Clubs there. They sure have the business after the clubs! It's a fun place.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:56 PM

I do quilting for my LQS and receive trade-in-kind--but always shopped there before cause the fabrics are great and she is so helpful about anything quilty. I encourage all to do business with their LQS--I live in a small community and have to drive across county to the LQS and frankly, any shopping. Our little town has almost no shopping (Rx and grocery and farm store) because no one was buying local and driving the 45 min to the big box stores due to price etc--now those shops are gone.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 PM

I love my LQS! The people are really, really nice. I enjoy wandering around looking at all the fabric. It's a lot more fun to see it in person as opposed to seeing it online. Also, I think it's important to contribute to the local economy and support small local business.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 PM

I buy rulers, mats etc at JA with a coupon, otherwise I buy from LQS. Hubby and I even hit up a store in Cody WY when we went to Yellowstone recently.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:23 PM

I buy my notions from JA with coupons, but most of my fabric comes from an LQS. I love most of the fabric I see at the LQS -- it is a bad bad place for me to go.