Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM

My husband and I celebrated our 19th anniversary yesterday. We discussed what we expected out of each other since this was a second marriage for both of us and we were both ready made families. It has definitely been interesting and we are both looking forward to the next 20. When I find people that have been married for a long time, I always congratulate them on their long marriage and for giving inspiration to me that ours can go that long.
    Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
    We tend to forget in this crazy world we live in that love is not a feeling.... it's a commitment.
    And also...love doesn't divide...it multiplies!
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My second marriage was to a marvelous man, and we were
    married for 39 1/2 years before ill health and a stroke took him
    from me. That was 3 years ago, and I still miss him. My kids and
    friends say there's other men out there, but I'm not ready yet.
    May never be. He'd be a hard act to follow. Went on a back packing honeymoon, and every year I go back to our beloved
    Yosemite Valley to feed the memories. After a broken ankle I can't go on the mountain trails any more, but the Valley itself is
    still lovely and has the gentle paths we used to walk on so long ago.
    Ramona, you remind me of my mom. She and my dad were married for just over 27 years when he passed away, and my mom never remarried. One of my daughters asked her, "Gramma, why didn't you ever marry again?", her reply to my daughter was, "Well, when you've had the best....". When Mom dying, another daughter was sitting with her for a time, and when she came home, she told me, "Mom, I've never met Grandpa, but I could feel him in the room and how much he loved Gramma, and that he'd been waiting for her a long time." All I could think was, "Wow!"
    Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM

That brought tears to my eyes, Ramona! What a touching tribute to a good marriage.

Ramona, you remind me of my mom. She and my dad were married for just over 27 years when he passed away, and my mom never remarried. One of my daughters asked her, "Gramma, why didn't you ever marry again?", her reply to my daughter was, "Well, when you've had the best....". When Mom dying, another daughter was sitting with her for a time, and when she came home, she told me, "Mom, I've never met Grandpa, but I could feel him in the room and how much he loved Gramma, and that he'd been waiting for her a long time." All I could think was, "Wow!"[/quote]
    Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM

Sorry, I got the names mixed up. But both of you had touching tributes to good marriages!

Originally Posted by jojo47
    Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My second marriage was to a marvelous man, and we were
    married for 39 1/2 years before ill health and a stroke took him
    from me. That was 3 years ago, and I still miss him. My kids and
    friends say there's other men out there, but I'm not ready yet.
    May never be. He'd be a hard act to follow. Went on a back packing honeymoon, and every year I go back to our beloved
    Yosemite Valley to feed the memories. After a broken ankle I can't go on the mountain trails any more, but the Valley itself is
    still lovely and has the gentle paths we used to walk on so long ago.
    Ramona, you remind me of my mom. She and my dad were married for just over 27 years when he passed away, and my mom never remarried. One of my daughters asked her, "Gramma, why didn't you ever marry again?", her reply to my daughter was, "Well, when you've had the best....". When Mom dying, another daughter was sitting with her for a time, and when she came home, she told me, "Mom, I've never met Grandpa, but I could feel him in the room and how much he loved Gramma, and that he'd been waiting for her a long time." All I could think was, "Wow!"
    Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Thank you, Miss Patsy Jane. My husband and I have been married for 37 years. We both had good example in our own parents and grandparents marriages. God willing, we are setting an example for our own children.
    Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 AM

39 years this past June; DH supports my interests/hobbies. We have struggled at times, have had lean times but we love each other. Raised 3 boys, 2 still single at 26 and 33. Middle son married for 12 years,(last month) with 2 beautiful daughters.

Thank you for this topic, have enjoyed reading all the posts.
    Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 AM

At grandaughter's wedding reception on Saturday married couples were asked to dance and the DJ asked how many years they were married. He started at 5 years and worked his way higher and as their year was announced the couples left the dance floor. DH and I almost won at 55 years but there was an older couple married 60 years. After all these years we still can dance, slowly but surely. May in Jersey

PS. When we started dancing DH asked, " How many years are we married?" Could have hit him over the head but didn't want everyone see how I "refreshed' his memory.
    Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

Some divorces are a must. Abuse, controlling, lying, cheating, just plain stupid, are reasons for divorce.
    Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 AM

My mom & dad made it to 60 years and he passed four days later, my mom made it to 2 more years before she passed.
    I was married, my first husband passed when April & Tara were just babies, I've been married now to the most wonderful man for 21 years, we've been together 24.