Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: looking for furniture stripper

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar

looking for furniture stripper

Thought I'd ask some of you what you use. I have two small ornate night stands that has been factory finished and a couple of table leaves (oak) that someone painted. I had always used Formbys before but have heard there is something just as good and cheaper. I do need something that does not take days of effort. Just physically not able to do that anymore. What all do you use? If I had the $$$$ I would have them dipped and then finish them. It is a nice dream, no? These items are old but garage sale items. Thanks for any help you can send my way.

My dad used the Formby's and then decided it was easier on him to take what he was working on and have it dipped by someone. That was many years ago, but he was working in an basement and felt it was easier on him to let someone else deal with that portion. He lived in WA state, so afraid that doesn't help you much.

I would stick with the Formbys. I have tried various brands from Lowes and nothing seems to work as well as Formbys, especially with a factory finish that can be lacquered on as opposed to simply being stained. If you want to keep the finish and just "update" the look by filling in scratches and such, there is a product called "Howards" that antique stores often sell. It doesn't remove anything, just fills in scrapes and worn spots with color and gives a light shine, not a high gloss. I was told the walnut color is perfect for most woods, even oak. The oak finish of Howards is really light.

It's been quite a few years since I refinished pieces but the product I used was Stripeeze. I liked it. Have no experience with Formby's.

I live near St. Charles in Illinois. There's a wonderful place for furniture stripping called King's Mill in Wasco. They've done work for my friends and I and we've been happy.

I use a product called Strip It. You have find at a hardware store. Strong stuff. paint on wait a few minutes scrap or use old rags to take off.

You might want to at least price out getting a piece dipped. It might not be as as bad as you expect, and saves you a lot of effort and exposure to chemicals. Not to the difficulties of doing this in the winter winter with enclosed spaces and fumes.

I use stripeze or strip it. Furniture should not be dipped it raises the wood grain and weakens the glued joints. Dipping is great for old metal beds but not wood

Oh I have trouble getting Formby's but I loved it for yrs--don't do as much wood work now EXCEPT I just made a table and finished it today --with 2 legs for our motor home. I did a whole house of furniture with Formby's yrs ago.
    Had heard some big company bought them out then stopped making my favorite product that dissolves the old finish.
    So much better than dipping but doesn't work on paint. good luck

CRO
    I used a paint stripper from Napa on a dresser a long time ago. It worked fantastic. It was recommended by a friend that restored a lot of old furniture. I'm not sure if I can remember the name though.

I have used Citristrip. I got it at Walmart & it is a paint on wipe off type. Use it on old kitchen table purchased at a yard sale for $5.00. Sold it a couple of years later for $25.00 .

Blog Entries
    dipping drys out the wood. I would never dip any furniture. I love Stripeze and Fornsby and have had good luck with both.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL