Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
I'm pretty sure someone will tell me why this is bad--------but I'd wash my hands real well in bleach. It's going to hurt---------but then the itching hurts too.

One of my "not by the book" cures.
NOT U 2??? I've still got it REAL bad. It is everywhere. So far Zanfel for $35 a tiny little tube is the only thing that has done much good. BUT Mean Green hand cleaner is the same thing and cheaper - the same stuff is in some cleansing cosmetics - go read the labels... go on search on line... As far as relief - maybe time? I do believe I've heard every wive's tale this week - I wore paisley to work today so my clothes matched my body - hey that's SSSSSOOOOOO not funny.
I've not had a bad case for a while, but sleeping was the big problem. I'd wake to find myself scratching.

A 5 minute sting from Mean Green or any other old wives cure is worth that agony.

(can I snicker about the paisley if I hid my mouth in my sleeve?)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
I'm pretty sure someone will tell me why this is bad--------but I'd wash my hands real well in bleach. It's going to hurt---------but then the itching hurts too.

One of my "not by the book" cures.
NOT U 2??? I've still got it REAL bad. It is everywhere. So far Zanfel for $35 a tiny little tube is the only thing that has done much good. BUT Mean Green hand cleaner is the same thing and cheaper - the same stuff is in some cleansing cosmetics - go read the labels... go on search on line... As far as relief - maybe time? I do believe I've heard every wive's tale this week - I wore paisley to work today so my clothes matched my body - hey that's SSSSSOOOOOO not funny.
I've not had a bad case for a while, but sleeping was the big problem. I'd wake to find myself scratching.

A 5 minute sting from Mean Green or any other old wives cure is worth that agony.

(can I snicker about the paisley if I hid my mouth in my sleeve?)
I might be laughing with you in a month or so...
Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Oohhhh how i've been there. I can get PI just by seeing it. Used to do the shots evey summer. Doc got tired of seeing me. Then one of the nurses snuck in and gave me her secret remedy and preventor. The remedy was to mash up fresh impatient leaves every morning adding a little bit of water to make a oatmeal textured paste. Put it in the fridge after you rub some on you. Then everytime you begin to itch dab some more on. The other part of the cure was to take Poison Ivy Pills acording to the directions. My PI is usually gone in a week. Now I take the Poison Ivy Pills every spring also give them to the kids and hubby. My Mom gives them to Dad and takes them herself. None of us have gotten PI in over 4 yrs. Happy dance. :)
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

The first thing to do if you know you've incountered Ivy is to wash yourself off with the coldest water you can stand. No soap, just ice cold water, don't rub. Remove cloths and tub soak in ice cold water, no soap before you machine wash them.

The sap in the ivy is made up of a crystal and the ice cold water breakes down the structure. You have to do this within 20 minutes of contact.
Google Organic Gardening. org and search for more info.

You may still get a reaction but it may not be as bad. Try it first and then do the doctor thing if you still have to.

http://www.gardensalive.com/article_...cd2=1237912181
peace
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Deodorant...the white kind. Rub it on the infected areas, but be sure to wipe a layer off the deodorant afterward. Or if the bubbles are "ripe" use straight bleach on a cotton ball. Both will dry up the infected areas fast.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM

My son uses bleach. Burns like hell but he says it dries it up and keeps it from spreading.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 AM

DH just read where if you can get in and wash with Dawn Dishwashing detergent within two hours after exposure, you most likely won't be bothered with PIvy. I am going to keep that in mind and after I have been working outside will come in and wash with it just to be on the safe side as I am very allergic to it and the shots and pills only last at the most 24 hours and I am back to scratching something terrible and I don't get rid of the stuff for at least 6 months after I get it, so I do most anything to prevent it if I can.

Have not had an occasion to try this so don't know if it works or not, but worth a try and if I am going to be outside working over two hours, will come in and wash with it and then go back outside and finish what I am doing. Anything to try to keep the stuff at bay. For now the only thing that helps me is Zanfel, but it does nothing for my youngest son, but helped the oldest one.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire View Post
I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
They are probably a form of steroid - I used to get it very severely and at the first sign, would go to the doctor for a prescription. Had it down my throat once - most miserable experience EVER!!!