Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-06-2011, 09:17 AM

Out here in Springfield, MO. I've heard construction workers pour a mixture of bleach and water over the infected areas and they say it works.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
OB

another product to try is caladryl . It is an alcohol based product like the pink calamine lotion. It doesn't cake and works qite well. It is available in CVS and most stores right near the calamine lotion.

Hope you feel better
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Pour peroxide over it. It worked for my SIL.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:25 PM

shot from dr and prednisone ... seems it gets in bloodstream ... must see dr
Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 PM

A trip to the Dr. I had poison ivy from my chin on down. I was given cortizone and prescription cream. Stay away from HOT WATER.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I am just getting over some--there was something in my garden that didn't like me. Problem is--it's not on my hands, arms, or legs, it's on my sides, and right buttock. Oh--and it started under my chin. :roll: I got it through clothing on the lower ones, and the sides baffled me, but I have all too big t-shirts and I reach at the sides to fold them up a lot. That must be how I got it. Mine turned into welts--looked like I'd been beaten. It itched horribly twice a day--I kept Cortisone on it at all times. While it's oozing, Calamine lotion is best. I did go to the doc, and she offered pills and a stronger Cortisone, but I knew it was on the way out, so declined.

Sigh... my garden will just have to do what it's going to do because I don't know what the weed was that did this and I'm not going near it.
Sounds like you may have gotten in to nettle( aka stinging nettle ,horse nettle)if you wash it in soap and water you spread it if you itch you spread it . Good luck I think though if you go ahead and treat it like PI it will help.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Fels Naptha soap will dry it up over night.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM

A shot of cortizone and Caladryl by the gallons!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
I'm pretty sure someone will tell me why this is bad--------but I'd wash my hands real well in bleach. It's going to hurt---------but then the itching hurts too.

One of my "not by the book" cures.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was an idiot last week and weeded my garden without gloves. Ended up with poison ivy all over my hand, between my fingers, and it's creeping over the rest of my body. It's driving me CRAAAZZZZEEEEEE. I wonder if anyone has any sure-fire treatments to kill this stuff. I'm heading to the beach for a camping trip this Sunday, and I just want it GONE.

Thanks in advance. :roll:
I'm pretty sure someone will tell me why this is bad--------but I'd wash my hands real well in bleach. It's going to hurt---------but then the itching hurts too.

One of my "not by the book" cures.
NOT U 2??? I've still got it REAL bad. It is everywhere. So far Zanfel for $35 a tiny little tube is the only thing that has done much good. BUT Mean Green hand cleaner is the same thing and cheaper - the same stuff is in some cleansing cosmetics - go read the labels... go on search on line... As far as relief - maybe time? I do believe I've heard every wive's tale this week - I wore paisley to work today so my clothes matched my body - hey that's SSSSSOOOOOO not funny.