Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy??? >

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Looking for miracle cure for poison ivy???

Old 08-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Domboro, found at drug stores,I too use this and it works GREAT for me!!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM

Doesn,t Demboro contain bleach ? When I was young I got poisin ivy all the time. We would dab it with bleach let it dry. If it itched alot we made a baking soda paste and painted it on and let dry.
Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Just took a Benadryl & had hubby pick up some Demboro for me. Already put it on, and it does seem to be drying. Kinda making me feel a bit icky (almost like you put a raw egg white on your skin or a face mask that dries), so I'm hopeful this will help. I'll keep 'yall posted, and thank you SEW much for the advice. :)
Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 PM

I am surprised, but with the second try, Jewel weed really seems to be drying up the blisters. What I did this time was get a bunch of the leaves and put it into a food process, and added a little tiny bit of water to it (I think last time it was too dry). Made a somewhat sticky substance, with a tinge of green.

For those who are interested in what it looks like, I found a great link: http://www.jaxmed.com/articles/Diseases/jewelweed.htm
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 PM

to get it out of your yard, use Ivy Kill - it's amazingly effective!! Ortho's Ground Clear is another way to go....about $20 for a gallon. To get it to leave your body, try Aveeno in the bath.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM

I once lived in California near Santa Cruz and our couple acres was loaded with poison oak. We tried all kinds of over the counter meds but found the best thing was to go to the beach, get in the salt water and then get out and dry in the sun, keep doing it over and over and by the time you go home it should be pretty well dried up.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I'm not good knowing the names of medicines. I used to get poison ivy every spring - I know it's miserable. My doctor gave me a prescription for pills that came in a pack. The first day, you take seven pills, the next day six, the next day five, etc. By the second day, I felt much relief. Sorry I don't know what they are called.
I am pretty sure you are describing PREDNISONE.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Baking soda and white vineger make a paste after washing with hot soapy water. janey
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Poison ivy leans toward the acid end of the equation, so bleach would have little affect on it. So far the alkaline cures seem to be working a lot better. This may explain the itch, but it has been so long since I had it I do not remember what I done. A friend of mine went to the bathroom in the woods, just be glad you did not get it there.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM

My Doctor told me that the beach is the best cure. The salt water, air and sunshine will dry it right out. Course I didn't get the chance to try it and had to be pput on Prednisone. GLuck hope it works
Old 08-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Last summer I decided to help my husband burn some brush piles out in the fields. Was out there all day and never touched the first leaf of poison ivy BUT when I got home found out I had it all over my body - even in my hair!! I had never had it before. It was so bad I went to the dr. Ended up having to go two rounds of the prednisone. Used Ivy Scrub and Calamine lotion too. It took six weeks for all to go away. It drove me CRAZY.They say it was the smoke that carried it to me. My advice - go to the doctor at once! Good luck