Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for a vest pattern for a larger woman >

Looking for a vest pattern for a larger woman

Looking for a vest pattern for a larger woman

Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 AM

Default Looking for a vest pattern for a larger woman

Hi everybody,
Typically, a larger woman would probablynot wear a vest (at least I wouldn't feel comfortable in one)but it is a requirement of a guild for their quilt show. Does anyone know of a good pattern out there?
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

how large? this one goes to XL https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Pa.../dp/B002L8CC5A
Old 08-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

When guilds make requirements like that I first complain to the organizers, and later just ignore them. You shouldn't have to buy or make a specific item of clothing for a quilt show or other event, especially if you feel uncomfortable wearing it.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
When guilds make requirements like that I first complain to the organizers, and later just ignore them. You shouldn't have to buy or make a specific item of clothing for a quilt show or other event, especially if you feel uncomfortable wearing it.
I have to agree, dunster. I was part of the wearable arts group years ago and they required you to do their challenge every year. I have 3 years worth of challenge garments hanging in my closet upstairs that I never wear and don't like. I don't like working with other people's ideas or fabrics and don't find it "challenging" at all. I don't join groups that have requirements like that anymore.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Check the thrift shops for a vest that fits and applique something on it? A men's suit vest would give a nice plain background and with wool applique it would look quite nice.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Fabric.com has some free vest patterns. I checked the hornpipe pattern and it goes up to size 26. Here is a link. Click on the pattern you are interested in and there will be an option to download it.
https://www.fabric.com/creativity-he...downloads.aspx
Old 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM

Thank you so much. I'll check the links. The thrift shop is a good idea too. When this person joined this guild, she had no idea there were such requirements. just trying to help her out.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I can see the point in having sponsors of or workers at a quilt show wearing a "uniform" of sorts - matching T-shirts, similar vests, something so that visitors know the person associated with the show.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 AM

A suggestion about the vest for a larger figure. Make it a bit longer and make sure the shoulders fit and the dart works. Many of us have a bit of a sloping shoulder and it makes a vest/blouse hang odd. This coupled with a poor dart give the garment a boxey look. If these 2 items are 'fixed', the item will fit nicely. Another thing would be to add a band to the front or trim down the front. This will draw the eye to it (if the regulations allow it).
Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
A suggestion about the vest for a larger figure. Make it a bit longer and make sure the shoulders fit and the dart works. Many of us have a bit of a sloping shoulder and it makes a vest/blouse hang odd. This coupled with a poor dart give the garment a boxey look. If these 2 items are 'fixed', the item will fit nicely. Another thing would be to add a band to the front or trim down the front. This will draw the eye to it (if the regulations allow it).
Along with the sloping shoulders, some of us are full bosomed and/or full-bellied. Make sure the garment is cut large enough so it does not pull anywhere on the back (below waist - around hips - wherever it is larger)

The shoulder part is important - most of us that have gained weight have not gotten noticeably wider shoulders!