Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LOST AND RETRIEVED MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT (for $14) >

LOST AND RETRIEVED MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT (for $14)

LOST AND RETRIEVED MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT (for $14)

Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Butterflywing, that is what happened to me on my Facebook, only they were on real time chat to my family and friends with my Facebook photo. Saying I had been injured and needed money wired, only they did tell people where to wire it to. It was being sent to the UK. My friends thought we were on vacation and in trouble. It was awful, they hijacked my password.
Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Lisanne
Huh?? You ended up paying a service to get you into your email account? How did you find the service? How do you know if they're legit? How did you pay them - do they now have all your banking information?

Was that initial email about dead accounts even legit? Because you obviously got into your email just fine to open it.
you may have noticed that i did not immediately answer you. once i used the new password i couldn't use it again. the fee i paid was on a dedicated card. the initial email - who knows? it looked right. whatever happened it was after that. i still can't open email. i got here now by typing in quilting board - the quilter's message board. i understand that everyone in my hotmail address book, including me, has received an email saying that i'm in trouble in london and need $2500. the stupid thing is there's no place to even send it to. i think i just have to shut this hotmail account down and open a new one on a different, more reliable provider's service. that means i'll lose everything i have here, including those email addresses. this is one stupid hacker or just a troublemaker.
fortunately, this is not my serious email account. this is my hobby account.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM

The very same thing happened to me with my email. Everyone on my list got an email saying we were in London and had been robbed and please send money. Also, all of my emails were rerouted to a different email address. This is not just a hacker, it is a virus. I had to take my computor in and have it backed up, wiped clean and everything reloaded. Then I had to contact my email carrier and take over 2 hours to set everything up again. What a pain in the butt!! This is a virus that normal virus protection does not get rid of. My daughter made a copy of the email that was sent out and I took it to the police. Of course there was nothing that they could do, but at least they are aware of it and have been telling people to watch for it. I got calls from everyone on my contact list asking me if I had enjoyed my vacation!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Hackers often do these things just for their own amusement, just to cause trouble. They didn't intend to actually receive money, because that could be traced, and then they'd get arrested.

This kind of thing is why I do not use an address book.

Yeesh, I'm sorry to see all the people it happened to.

butterflywing, it sounds like it's just your email that's affected. So it shouldn't affect your ability to come to these boards or to go to any other websites.

Very good that you used a dedicated card, but I'd move the money out of it (if it's a debit card) and close it.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 PM

i never use a debit card. it's a credit card that i don't use for anything else except online purchases. it's therefore very easy to track and challenge. plus, because it is a credit card, they can hold you responsible for only $50. after that, too bad for them.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM

now i have to figure out how to empty this whole site and set it up elsewhere.

if i don't take the address book with me, will that end it? or will people keep getting bothered?

i'm thinking i can hand write the address information and then delete everything to spam and out.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 AM
k3n
Power Poster

This makes me so mad! Haven't these idiots got anything better to do with their time? I had this email and of course knew straight away that it wasn't you, B. You'd have asked for far more than 2500 bucks! Just kidding! I hope you get it sorted out soon. I'm thinking you should notify the police as well - they may not do anything about it but if everyone who this happened to reported it, maybe eventually something would be done.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 AM

they can't spend their lives tracking these jerks down. while i'm in i'll retrieve what i can that i really want - probably just names. then i'll open a different account. please send money. i'm out of fabric and i'm going into withdrawal. the clinic bills are expected to be very high as i expect to take a long time to recover, if ever.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

they can't spend their lives tracking these jerks down. while i'm in i'll retrieve what i can that i really want - probably just names. then i'll open a different account. please send money. i'm out of fabric and i'm going into withdrawal. the clinic bills are expected to be very high as i expect to take a long time to recover, if ever.
I'll send you a case of good French cognac! :mrgreen:
Old 03-05-2010, 04:57 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

i never use a debit card. it's a credit card that i don't use for anything else except online purchases. it's therefore very easy to track and challenge. plus, because it is a credit card, they can hold you responsible for only $50. after that, too bad for them.
I'm not so sure about that $50... it's my understanding that you can dispute ANY charge, for any amount.

Credit cards offer great protection, that way. After all... your money isn't really gone until after you've paid the bill.

NOT SO with debit cards... that's why I would never, ever use a debit card for online purchases.

And I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to you!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I too have a problem with Jerks that have nothing better to do but sit around trying to mess with poeple and mess up their lives. They do sometimes get caught. I've had no problems so far and am hoping I don't. I mainly come here and well known online businesses.