Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lottery tickets?

Lottery tickets?

Anyone buy any tickets? Some of us at my school bought a bunch together this week. If you won, what would you do with some of the winnings? Fun to dream big!
    -Teri from Minne-sn*w-ta

Blog Entries
    truthfully, I only want a million, after taxes about 480,000.
    I'd buy cars for my dh and son, pay off my house and take a vacation and bank the rst. I'm getting a red Jeep Cherokee. Oh, and get a Tajima professional emb machine.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

That is smart spending and saving!!!
    -Teri from Minne-sn*w-ta

Power Poster
    It allows you to dream for a while and everyone needs dreams.

Two tickets - my limit. I'd make sure my extended family was 'comfortable' for the rest of their lives, establish scholarships for grands, great grands, etc. This may sound like revenge, but it's not, one of my sibling's families would get only an allowance that literally leaves them just barely comfortable - because they would use 'extra' money to emotionally torture others. Their kids and grandkids could get the scholarships, though.

Donate to autism research, foster care, research into an inherited peripheral neuropathy called charcot-marie-toothe, which runs in my family, altzheimers and so on.

Having said all that, I will add that I feel I've won the lottery of life already; good parents, good family, great husband, wonderful kids, good education, good jobs, moderately good health, and, with some penny pinching here and there, a comfortable retirement.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-13-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: language
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Hubby buys them but its too much for me. I'd give tons away shrines, Marlo Thomas hospital, make a wish stuff like that I like to buy scratch off but keep winnings in envelope and use it to help pay LA fees.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy nephews a new car each and myself a small motorhome, big enough for me and fur babies to go travelling. Also would love to redecorate my cottage and add a conservatory. Rest would go into savings.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I do not buy lottery tickets but my hubby does and since we live in a community property state what's his is also mine. With my share, I would do things to make our life less stressful like pay off our bills, hire a weekly maid service and a lawn service, eat out more and just enjoy life in general. I would gift money to the church I grew up in and to family. After doing all that if anything was left, I would save it for that rainy day my Mom & Dad always talked about. LOL
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

We don't buy them all that often but sometimes play "what if we won". Same things, pay off our bills, kids bills, college fund for grands. Charity of course. I have always wanted to have a grant program that pays for things that other programs don't. I would have a 501c3 and a board of my like minded friends. Sometimes it is just a few dollars that can make or break a program and there are no funding sources and donations can only go so far. Plus I would fund a lot of food banks because that is my charity of choice lately. People are hungry.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I have 5 charity groups that I donate to on a regular basis, so I'd go big on them, then a new car for each of us and after that never worry about how much fabric I could buy at one time

I never buy them. The odds are a billion to one. My best friend is always really lucky with our local CA lottery but not sure if he is participating in this big one. I wouldn't want to win a billion dollars.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Winning the lottery wouldn't change my life in terms of having what I want but it would change a lot of other people's lives that I would certainly give financial security to. DH buys one lottery ticket a week. $2 is all we will gamble. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

If we were the sole winners I would buy my son's house pay off our mortgage and build a log cabin in Colorado wit a swimming pool in the bottom with two bedrooms for our two GDD's and a storage room for all our stuff. Our table in the kitchen would become a game table. We'd have d raw wall on the insides and lots of bookcases. We'd have a washing machine and dryer room. I have sewing room the lenght of the hallway with bookshelf for my books and magazines and shelving under the windows for my fabric I'd have a plug for my tv and one for my sewing machine and I have room for my cutting table and shelving for all the boxes I have. I would also room for my computer.There would be enough room for a statler stichter. There would also be a half bath for me.

I do hope there are many winners tonight, me being one of them of course. I truly do not want to win the whole lottery, probably would spend the rest of my life worrying about how to protect my winnings and not living life. I would be perfectly HAPPY to win one million. I could retire, quilt til my hands hurt and travel around in this great country we live in.
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Blog Entries
    I bought a few for this big one. I would pay off all loans of mine and children, donate to Wounded Warriors and few other charities then I would just love like.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

after family is taken care of, I would buy the local wildlife center, tear it down and build a huge new one. I took a squirrel there last week that was hit by a car and people were bringing in baby raccoons, possums, a pelican and a parrot just in the 10 minutes I was there.....I do donate to them now, but would love to do more.....

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Same here! My kids live in another state. I would definitely help them with their needs. they work hard. Have never been lazy. Help them with career they would really enjoy. Have a medical fund/trust set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    I do not buy lottery tickets but my hubby does and since we live in a community property state what's his is also mine. With my share, I would do things to make our life less stressful like pay off our bills, hire a weekly maid service and a lawn service, eat out more and just enjoy life in general. I would gift money to the church I grew up in and to family. After doing all that if anything was left, I would save it for that rainy day my Mom & Dad always talked about. LOL

I don't normally play but this time, with the pot being so huge, I had DH go buy us some quick pick numbers. I'm also in the lottery pool at work - we joke that it's our retirement plan but I play mostly so if there's a big win I won't be the only person left in the office! Plus it's fun to dream.

I would create college and "first house" trust funds for my niece and nephews; buy a cute little house for my mom and get her better healthcare and a live-in helper. I'd buy my sister anything she wants - she's amazing and she deserves it all. My cousins' children would get trust funds too. I'd buy homes for my in-laws too, in fact I'd buy my husband's mom a house closer to me than the one I'd buy for my mom, LOL.

But if I somehow got the whole big huge pot to myself I'd have to create a foundation to spend it properly and get part of it invested so it could keep helping people indefinitely. I'd have a hard time deciding what to focus on...literacy, homelessness, mental health, shelter and legal help for abused people, helping the disabled, clean water and healthcare to "third-world" communities...there are so many things I'd want to get involved in! If I had that kind of money I'd want to invest some of it into technology, too - particularly medical technology. I think remote-operated surgical robots will someday save many lives in remote places and I'd like to help bring that about.

For myself...I want a big piece of land and some helpers so I can shelter all sorts of stray and neglected animals and have a farm of sorts. And finally have room for that longarm I've been drooling over! I'd retire from my "real" job and spend all my time administering my charitable foundation, making quilts, taking art classes, puttering around in the garden, and feeding strays of all sorts.

OH, and I'd buy a Tesla. Those are NEAT cars and I WANT one!

I have always joked that I only buy one ticket and if the lottery gods want me to win, I will win -- but I think the lottery gods are on break.

Haven't bought a ticket in years, but bought one last evening at the restaurant where we had dinner. DH and I spent some time talking about the need to "learn" philanthropy and how to set up a foundation. There are lots of world-wide needs that can be addressed with hundreds of millions of dollars (yes -- I'm dreaming big!)

Not serious, of course. I heard you stand a better chance of ending up in the emergency room with a pogo stick injury than you do of winning PowerBall.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

DH plays occasionally and got into the pool at work for the last drawing. Each week I write down the numbers I would play. Each week I take the $2 I saved by not buying a ticket and put it in the Christmas savings account. So far I have occasionally had one number out of the six so I'm guessing I'm not a very lucky person. If I ever hit all the numbers and could have won but didn't because I don't play I'll be so mad at myself!

Blog Entries
    Both my husband and I have bought a few tickets. As much as I would like to win, I believe that is an obscene amount of money. After I took care of family members, and I don't mean enough money so they never have to work again, I would concentrate on charities. How wonderful it would be to make a difference.
    Sometimes there is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.
    Reggie

Blog Entries
    Hubs sent me to the store last Saturday to buy Power Ball tickets.
    When I get there I asked the store clerk "how do you play?" (I was
    wanting to pick my own numbers for 1 ticket), he laughed at me and
    told me how to complete the ticket.

I will be buying tickets today when I get off work.

IF (isn't that the biggest 2 letter word?) I were to win the lotto, than
    I would have a home custom designed & built for us. In which would
    HAVE to have a large FULLY stocked sewing room with MANY machines
    (so I could have sewing friends to come over and sew with me).

Buy my daughters new cars, homes, and set them up with small "allowances"
    set up trust funds for any (currently only 1) grandkids, along with college
    tuition's.

I would also build a special building to host quilting retreats with a FULLY
    stocked quilting/fabric/notions store, (why leave to go buy anything).

Give to some charities that I like.

Bank the rest.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I'd give most to St. Judes and Shriners hospitals. Research for the blind. Humane Society (not ASPCA) and Wildlife centers.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Keep it a secret and contact a good lawyer.

Bought my first ever Powerball tickets for the last drawing. I spent $4, I won $4. So I'm trying again today, two tickets, spent $4. And I'd be happy to get my $4 back again. The one thing I'd buy myself is a studio apartment in my building, preferably on our floor, which I would use as a sewing room. However, nobody in the studios on our floor is planning to move, and I'm not going to win, so.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast