love living in the country

Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Lucky you to have such a great view.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
cool pics, thanks!!

We have currently 5 female hummingbirds re-enacting aerial battles around our feeder. I tell DH it is better than anything on TV!!
Our hummingbird feeder usually does land office business but there haven't been as many hummingbirds around here this summer (tho I did find one flying around the screened-in porch the other day!). Maybe it's the heat... how about everybody else?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 AM

My DH and I are downsizing and for the first time in our married life we are not out in the woods, as we sold our attached acreage on Friday and kept only 9 acres around our house. Our next move will be to 5.5 acres in Oregon. Big change from the 300+ we started out with. We will miss our privacy, our solitude, our birds and our wildlife. I think I will really miss those foggy mornings when it seemed that we were the only ones in the world as the fog totally obscured the landscape outside our door.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Wisconsin is the best! We had sand hill cranes and egrets hunting frogs in our pond. I love how they call to each other. When the cranes migrate in the fall, you can still hear them even though they’re tiny dots miles high in the sky.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM

I remember these from living in Wisconsin. i also remember the baby bear on our deck in Colorado. I had forgotten to bring in the hummingbird feeder and he broke it trying to get to the sweet syrup. The sound alerted me. When I saw him I thought he was so cute and would make a great photo. But before I opened the door, my brain turned on and I realized that as small as he was, his Momma was probably nearby. So I took the photo from inside. The next morning I walked down the mountain to our group of mailboxes. There was a bulletin board there with a note saying our neighbor saw a mother bear and one cub in her yard. She wondered if there was another cub. I added to the note saying I knew where he was! I'll try to find the photo and post it.
Would be nice if other people shared wildlife photos from their area too
Old 08-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Our hummingbird feeder usually does land office business but there haven't been as many hummingbirds around here this summer (tho I did find one flying around the screened-in porch the other day!). Maybe it's the heat... how about everybody else?
Not nearly the usual number of hummingbirds here this year. Too hot and dry?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM

You got great pictures of them!! Yesterday we saw 13 wild turkey's on our street. We have fox and deer in our back yard at times. I don't even live in the country!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM

One morning while I was on school crossing guard duty, there were 3 sandhill cranes that flew into the field area of the school yard. one crane stayed outside the fence while the other two went inside. The one who stayed outside decided to walk across the street where I was standing.He stopped when he was less than 5 ft away from me.I am 5' 6" and that bird was as tall as I am. I didn't make any alarming moves and he got bored and rejoined his friends. They stayed in the field tille the kids started arriving for school and then they flew off.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
One morning while I was on school crossing guard duty, there were 3 sandhill cranes that flew into the field area of the school yard. one crane stayed outside the fence while the other two went inside. The one who stayed outside decided to walk across the street where I was standing.He stopped when he was less than 5 ft away from me.I am 5' 6" and that bird was as tall as I am. I didn't make any alarming moves and he got bored and rejoined his friends. They stayed in the field tille the kids started arriving for school and then they flew off.
that was awesome. they are so tall-I did not get that close tho.