Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: love living in the country

love living in the country

sand hill cranes were in the field today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

QKO
    We always loved seeing the Sand Hill Cranes on our property when we lived in MN. They are wonderful huge birds that are fascinating to watch as they "dance" around.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

That is so cool, isn't it? We've had a plethora of bald eagles here in my neck of the woods lately!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Love that! We drive 60 miles to see the Sand Hill Cranes around here!!!

AND I thought they only lived on the golf courses in our retirement community in FL !! We enjoy them too. One lady we know feeds them and they will actually go to her door and honk and honk for food!! The babies are big, fuzz balls.

We have one (among many) in our neighborhood that has a broken wing and used to have one with only one leg. The wonderful thing is: they do not know they are disabled. They adapt their lives and keep right on living!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

cool pics, thanks!!

We have currently 5 female hummingbirds re-enacting aerial battles around our feeder. I tell DH it is better than anything on TV!!

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

You are very lucky, I love to see wild birds of all kinds.

Thank you for sharing those photos! I love seeing wildlife.

Lucky you to have such a great view.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    cool pics, thanks!!

We have currently 5 female hummingbirds re-enacting aerial battles around our feeder. I tell DH it is better than anything on TV!!
    Our hummingbird feeder usually does land office business but there haven't been as many hummingbirds around here this summer (tho I did find one flying around the screened-in porch the other day!). Maybe it's the heat... how about everybody else?
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

My DH and I are downsizing and for the first time in our married life we are not out in the woods, as we sold our attached acreage on Friday and kept only 9 acres around our house. Our next move will be to 5.5 acres in Oregon. Big change from the 300+ we started out with. We will miss our privacy, our solitude, our birds and our wildlife. I think I will really miss those foggy mornings when it seemed that we were the only ones in the world as the fog totally obscured the landscape outside our door.

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Wisconsin is the best! We had sand hill cranes and egrets hunting frogs in our pond. I love how they call to each other. When the cranes migrate in the fall, you can still hear them even though they’re tiny dots miles high in the sky.

I remember these from living in Wisconsin. i also remember the baby bear on our deck in Colorado. I had forgotten to bring in the hummingbird feeder and he broke it trying to get to the sweet syrup. The sound alerted me. When I saw him I thought he was so cute and would make a great photo. But before I opened the door, my brain turned on and I realized that as small as he was, his Momma was probably nearby. So I took the photo from inside. The next morning I walked down the mountain to our group of mailboxes. There was a bulletin board there with a note saying our neighbor saw a mother bear and one cub in her yard. She wondered if there was another cub. I added to the note saying I knew where he was! I'll try to find the photo and post it.
    Would be nice if other people shared wildlife photos from their area too

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Our hummingbird feeder usually does land office business but there haven't been as many hummingbirds around here this summer (tho I did find one flying around the screened-in porch the other day!). Maybe it's the heat... how about everybody else?
    Not nearly the usual number of hummingbirds here this year. Too hot and dry?

You got great pictures of them!! Yesterday we saw 13 wild turkey's on our street. We have fox and deer in our back yard at times. I don't even live in the country!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

One morning while I was on school crossing guard duty, there were 3 sandhill cranes that flew into the field area of the school yard. one crane stayed outside the fence while the other two went inside. The one who stayed outside decided to walk across the street where I was standing.He stopped when he was less than 5 ft away from me.I am 5' 6" and that bird was as tall as I am. I didn't make any alarming moves and he got bored and rejoined his friends. They stayed in the field tille the kids started arriving for school and then they flew off.

Quote Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn View Post
    One morning while I was on school crossing guard duty, there were 3 sandhill cranes that flew into the field area of the school yard. one crane stayed outside the fence while the other two went inside. The one who stayed outside decided to walk across the street where I was standing.He stopped when he was less than 5 ft away from me.I am 5' 6" and that bird was as tall as I am. I didn't make any alarming moves and he got bored and rejoined his friends. They stayed in the field tille the kids started arriving for school and then they flew off.
    that was awesome. they are so tall-I did not get that close tho.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I live in the county and love it too........except at 5:00am when the coyotes decide to go through the property, stop at my pond, howl, and get all the dogs within a 5 mile radius up in arms! LOL
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I have never seen the sand hill cranes except in pictures. And, oh how I am enjoying your pictures!!!

Blog Entries
    I just love the wildlife, i miss not living in the country, thank you for sharing
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I saw a lot of them on vacation last week. We were in the Lakewood Wi area.
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

Very cool. We have some quail and blue herons hanging around our house, along with several other types of birds and bats. We even have desert rabbits come by. I am pleasantly surprised with all the wildlife around, considering we live in the "desert" here in LV. Our home is actually in the northwestern foothills. There are also toads (seen and heard them) and some coyotes (I've heard mentioned, never seen them myself).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast