Love those mums !

Old 08-31-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Love those mums !

Fall and Mums go together. In Zone 4, Garden mums won’t survive like the perennial mums. I used to work “seasonal” at a large greenhouse and I would tell customers - it’s impossible to overwater them - they are little water hogs and water from the top isn’t enough. I set the flower pot in a pan of water overnight and the soil sucks it right up - which they love. I take the water away during the day. Enjoy !
Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I love mums!!! I have tons of them in my flowerbeds and this Spring divided some to put in the back as they were mostly all in front or the sides of my home. I have many colors and varieties.
I don't buy the Garden mums as I have many but my sister does and she enjoys the nice colors w/o having to worry. She has a condo and not much room to plant.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM

Yes, they are a beautiful fall flower. I didn't realize how well they grow in flowerbeds (duh!). I had one in a pot that wasn't doing so well so I figured I'd just plant it in the flower bed. It couldn't do any worse! But it just thrived! Got really big and beautiful.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

I prefer perennial, had some many years ago. They finally died out.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 AM

Well, if anyone wants to get rid of mums (perennial or garden), send them to me. I can guarantee you they will die within a month. For some reason, no matter what we do, we cannot keep mums alive in this yard, and it's a bummer, as I really like them.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:58 AM

Last fall I worked really hard making a mum bed along a garage wall. I had 12 small mums planted there. When winter came and there was no vegetation for the bunnies to eat they buzzed off my mums. But 9 came back in the spring and grew again. I have the biggest mum plants, but I had forgotten to pinch off the extra growth between stems as my mother used to do and all the buds are so small. Purchased two more to plant in there this year. My mum bed is dedicated to my mom.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:11 AM

Last year I bought a half dozen $1 mums off the clearance rack at the local big box in October as I wanted some last minute color for a party I was hosting. Didn't care that they would die in a few weeks since the price was right and I wanted the front of the house to look nice. Surprisingly, one of them survived and I now have a mum plant that is about 3 feet in diameter and full of buds! Can't wait to see what the blossoms look like.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Another word from me about mums- where I live I decided to only snip them once- before July. I used to snip them every couple of weeks until July but realized that by doing so many of them bloomed too late. It was getting cold, rainy etc and we didn't get to enjoy them as much.
So now I just do the once snip and I enjoy them while the weather is still nice.
Just a little FYI to Ohio peeps
Old 09-01-2018, 07:11 AM

Love mums as they look good during the summer without their flowers and then when they bloom, its just so colorful. I live in zone 5A (Iowa) and my mums want to bloom in early July so I chop them down so they don't. This year for whatever reason I've acquired more mum plants where I've never planted them.....including my walkway, rock driveway, etc. I now have colors in areas I know I've never planted there but I'm liking how the variety of colors look together so I'm leaving them as is. I'll be redoing my flower beds this fall and into spring and I'll be moving the mums in areas to fill in. Can't seem to kill these little devils.