Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Machines ne embroidery stabilizer recommendations? Bobbins? >

Machines ne embroidery stabilizer recommendations? Bobbins?

Machines ne embroidery stabilizer recommendations? Bobbins?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Machines ne embroidery stabilizer recommendations? Bobbins?

I do a lot of embroidery on flour sack and terry towels. I'd like to use a tearaway on the bottom but what works best? I found some older stuff in the drawer that has dots/holes but it seems like most things don't tearaway nicely. Would love to hear what you have found that works well.

Also...what kind of prewound bobbins do you use. I saw online some magna glide that look interesting. I have a Pfaff Creative 4.5.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM

I buy tearaway from my local shop in stacks of 20 sheets. There are many different brands and weights. Don't forget the water soluble stabilizer for the lettering. It keeps the thread from sinking down into the towels.

It will depend on the bobbin size for your machine. A chart that may give you more info.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...in-information

More bobbins here. My machines use the 13305 type. I use them in the regular sewing machine sometimes with good results too. You can even buy them in specific colors for free standing lace projects or wind your own thread.

http://www.allbrands.com/categories/...bbins-class-15
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I do a lot of embroidery on flour sack and terry towels. I'd like to use a tearaway on the bottom but what works best? I found some older stuff in the drawer that has dots/holes but it seems like most things don't tearaway nicely. Would love to hear what you have found that works well.

Also...what kind of prewound bobbins do you use. I saw online some magna glide that look interesting. I have a Pfaff Creative 4.5.
Walmart sells a tearaway stablizer by the yard. I've used it and I like it. Also Sulky has one.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 AM

I would not use tear away stabilizer on dish towels or terry towels. If you use wash away you will not have anything showing but the great embroider design.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:35 AM

I use a tear away on the bottom and a topper that dissolves with heat. The part under the Embroidery stays and keeps the design more stable because it doesn’t wash away.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I use spray on stabilizer. It works for me to keep the embroidery part of the fabric not a design on top of the fabric.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sJens View Post
I would not use tear away stabilizer on dish towels or terry towels. If you use wash away you will not have anything showing but the great embroider design.
I use the wash away stabilizer for all my hand embroidery and hand quilting projects. Be careful you get the kind that looks like a very light weave and not the plastic kind. I buy it by the bolt when it is on sale or I have a good coupon at Joann's I do hand embroidery and hand quilting with it, I trace my design with a fine perma pen and use a little glue stick in the corners and lay it on my towel or whatever I am stitching on. Soak in warm soapy water and it disappears. When quilting with it I cut a piece a little larger than my quilt top and for a large quilt I use quilting pins to baste it on the quilt top after tracing my design the same as I do for embroidery. This works great for hand quilting with many different fabric colors. I have done lap to baby to full size quilts using this technique. After I am done quilting I wash it in the washer the same as any other quilt top. Since I started using this I have not marked any quilt tops unless they are all light colors that I can use my blue wash away marker on. Some of my tops the stabelizer has been on for months and holds up well.