Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: This made me smile

whites in the sun. colors in the shade.

I don't remember any of these rules but someone must have impressed them on me because I recognize doing many of those things when I was assigned this chore as a kid.

Blog Entries
    Yep...I never had an automatic washer and didn't have a dryer either until 1989. I washed with a wringer washer and hung outside, unless it was raining, and then hung clothes in the "mud room".

That was only 21 years ago! I'd still be hanging outside if we owned our own home...

Blog Entries
    No wonder my hubby fusses when I hang out the clothes on Sunday. He is older than me. lol.I do stick to most of the rules but dont take them after the frost comes and kills the spiders in the pail. Lol

I remember grandmother living with us -- she had to have the clothes out by 6am on Monday morning. She also starched my dad's boxers, but that is another story (LOL). If grandmother did not get up in time, mom would put the clothes in the dryer and then the fur would fly.

For what it is worth I have a clothes line in my back yard, not used that much but every once in awhile on a nice light breezt day I will hang out the laundry. Something about clothes that are dried from the sun that I like.

I remember all of that! Thanks for taking me down memory lane. I remember running between the sheets and holding my arms out to touch the sheets on both sides. I can even remember the smell of them. Boy those were the days.

I do remember the rules !! We live in the country and I still use the clothesline for sheets and my husbands work shirts.
    I like the dryer for whites now they make them softer.

Blog Entries
    Yep still do most!

Blog Entries
    I do remember.....

Blog Entries
    I remember my Mom hanging her clothes this way. She had a dryer but seldom ever used it. Her clothes and linens always smelled so good!

Yes..I remember it like it was yesterday..Grandma was wicked about that Monday laundry being just right..good memories !!

My Mom's clothes line made for some dramatic pictures when I lived out there. Now I'm in town and have a clothes line here too, love it for those bigger items! Thanks for the list of how to do it right!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's so funny because my mom followed the same rules except # 7 LOL. And yes, I remember the pole too :D
    I still hang my clothes on the line but only in summer and don't follow any of those rules.

memories, but do not miss hanging clothes, the dryer is so much easier, no bird do on the clothes especially after they had been eating berries.

Blog Entries
    Magpie - your 1st. picture is rather ominous but beautiful and Mickie - if you hung the clothes inside out the birdy-doo really didn't matter ......... lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    My mother still line dries her clothes...follows most of these rules
    i am 48 and i remember this very well i have clothes lines my self but honestly use them very little.

Wow, that's exactly the way I remember my Grandma and Mom doing it ---- until they discovered clothes dryers. I would like to hang clothes out but home owners association does not allow it - stuffy fools.

Yep, remember my mother and grandmother doing just all that. Now I'm the grandmother doing it! I love to hang clothes outside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by true4uca
    Rules for Clotheslines -- You'll love this......

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can hear my mother now.
    My mother would have loved this! Do you remember?

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (If you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this.

1. You had to wash the clothesline before hanging any clothes - walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail. What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! Never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know!).

6. It didn't matter if it was sub-zero weather ... clothes would "freeze-dry".(I so remember this)

7. Always gather the clothespins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothespins, but shared one of the clothespins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED?! On Tuesday .. Well, that's a whole other subject!
    For one thing, I am the only one on our block with a clothes line - six lines (one is being used for the line for the dog run). I hang up clothes according to color (white, colored), I hide the scrub rags in the middle line someplace, I hang out sheets to be freeze dried in the dead of winter! I also hang out my husband's hankies (how many husbands still use hankies). I try to hang out the blankets and pillows also either on a nice sunny warm day or a really cold icy sunny day!!! The only thing I don't hang out is terry towels. Number 9 has the ironing ready for another day - not me - I have my iron and ironing board out on the patio and as the clothes dry, I iron them. Everything done in one day! I hope I still qualify for being an authentic clothes line lady!!!!! Edie

I remember my clothesline in the UP so vividly, my fingers ache with the remembrance. In the winter when the snow started falling, it was out to the lines with the basket and tramping down the snow to make paths. As winter went on and colder and more snow, it was out to the lines with the shovel, clothes freezing before you could get them on the lines. When the snow got so high that it was drifted up almot to the lines, you just have to give up and hang in the basement. Oh, yes, I remember it well.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I do remember these rules. I still use a few of them. My mother's words perch on my shoulder when I skip a few.

Note to hanging clothes in frigid air. Bring them in to thaw before you attempt to fold them. :0)

Blog Entries
    I remember this well. Washed the clothes outside on an old wringer washing machine and hung them outside (summer and winter - mind you in Michigan!) Loved the smell of clothes fresh off the line. Thanks for sharing - great memories.

Yup...I remember them all. And still use them. Clothes dry in a heartbeat here and I love fresh sheets dried in the sun. Most towels these days dry soft in the sun as well. Also admit to loving a line of fresh white diapers flapping in the breeze hahaha. Perma press comes inside and gets 10 minutes in the dryer in place of ironing although I use my iron press for table linens, vintage linens, pillow cases and the hems on top sheets.
    For the record.....I only do these things to please myself. You couldn't pay me to do them for anyone else.

Blog Entries
    These are still the rules except for ironing on tuesday has now become When the basket gets full or when the irons out for a quilt project -Ahhh the times they are a changing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast