made my neighbor laugh

Old 09-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Just started a load of laundry. My neighbor was doing a load of his clothes. Our 3 apartments share a laundry room, which the landlord pays the utility bill for. No coin-op. I had gone thru the cupboards the other day sorting out can goods and unopened boxes of cerealand such, which were things my mine liked. She passed away in May this year. I know me and hub won't eat. Neighbor took only what he would use. Had some tables ,needed refinishing, really.Some one gave me and I thru in a bedroom(storage room) I piled all the stuff out on tables near driveway and wrote free if you can use. Spinach ,asparagus tomato soup, stuff like that, pork and beans. The neighbor said you didn't hear the brakes screaching? Said yeah, but happens all the time. He said there was almost fight out there from people stopping and loading all the stuff you piled out here!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:36 PM

How kind of you to do this. I have done this out next to the drive and go back in and it's funny how people will look around to see if anyone is seeing them get the items.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Times are hard and it was good of you to share. People are funny!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM

How kind of you to do that! The post office ask's for canned donations each year for the food bank (you put in a plastic bag next to the mailbox and they pick up) so I make sure to pull anything that has been in the pantry a while. There are so many people that needs a little help these days!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM

We have a Big Garbage day here once a month. If you have stuff that will not fit into the garbage cans, set it out on your curb & the City will pick it up. Pickups with trailers go around grabbing the free stuff. So anytime we have anything that we no longer want, if the kids do not claim it, it will end up on the curb on Big Garbage day(the night before). It is usually gone by morning.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

Every time we schedule a pick up of large items they disappear before the garbage truck gets here. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Wasn't it HGTV that had a show where these two guys would go "shopping" at night? They would grab something that caught their eye, that people had set out for the garbage truck.
Then they repurposed it, and returned it to the owners. Somtimes it took the owners a while to figure out that it started out as their junk :D:D:D

I love the idea of setting things out with a free sign... I see that out here a lot too. There are many people that can surely use what someone else no longer needs.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 PM

We get a free pickup for trash twice a year. Its for fridges and household furnitue and stuff as long as its not hasmat or e-waste. Tho I have seen computors and t.v.s sitting out in some peoples. When the washing machine went out the landlord was going to buy a new one. Well he just bought this set like 2 years ago. Cost almost $1000.00 Said he Paul the dryer works fine. I have a washer in storage and a dryer. I know I could sell, but lets bring washer here instead and use. Its older but nothing wrong with it. So he got pickup- and we got it. Also the dryer he put in garage for spare at his house. Had a washer needed repairs was gonna junk. He would not take for free, wanted to pay. So I told him, fine $100. So on rent day I paid $100 on rent less. He said if he decided not to repair washer I had and we replaced he would sit outside and put a free sign on stating needed repairs. Well he did and was both gone by morning!!