Major Announcement by USPS

Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

My post master told me this aft the on March 25 USPS is coming out with a major announcement. He doesn't know what it is either. They just were told there will be some major changes.

I am so hoping we don't lose our Post Office! It would be soooo inconvenient!! I don't want to have to figure out how to do it online(I know alot of people like it) and I don't want to have to go 12miles to the next town to mail something!!

I really hope we don't lose any more post offices in our area! I know things are tight but this would not be good.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM

Maybe closing on Saturdays?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Yes ,I know our small town PO Is scared too.They keep cutting their hours and staff. We have the Mayberry type post office, the post master knows all of his patrons and we all know him.I love living in a small town. We have one traffic light :)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Yes ,I know our small town PO Is scared too.They keep cutting their hours and staff. We have the Mayberry type post office, the post master knows all of his patrons and we all know him.I love living in a small town. We have one traffic light :)
Yeah--I know what you mean. But my favorite woman just transferred to a bigger city...maybe she knew something. I live between three small towns--not a traffic light in any of them. :lol:
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Hmmm still can't decide if my momma (a PO carrier) lucked out by getting hurt so badly on the job she may not be able to return or if the PO is really going to screw her over more so now and refuse to give her any disability or anything....
Old 03-08-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't mind them cutting back on days....after all, we CAN survive without mail on Saturday. But if they close our small PO, I'll be upset. It's ALWAYS busy at this PO...and we'd have to go 40 miles to the nearest. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM
MTS
Banned

.....perhaps a major RIF, including from management?
We'll see. ;) ;)
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

REDESIGNING USPS
CHANGES TO BE ANNOUNCED IN LATE MARCH
“Communicating with employees on our redesign policy is an important and ongoing process. We will continue to keep employees up-to-date as our plans are solidified.”

On Jan. 7, PMG Pat Donahoe announced the beginning of an organizational redesign that will help streamline the Postal Service. The announcement included a 16-percent reduction in the officer ranks of the Postal Service and the impending closure of the Southeast Area (Link, 1/21).

The redesign process continues. Donahoe, the Executive Leadership Team, and area and headquarters vice presidents are currently examining the existing organizational structure, recommending where USPS can be realigned to better match resources to workload. Decisions based on this review are scheduled to be announced by the end of March. This announcement — a major benchmark in the long-term redesign of the Postal Service — could include district closures, as well as changes in organizational structures at headquarters and in the field.

The March announcement also could lead to a reduction in force (RIF) or voluntary early retirement (VER) for specific groups of employees. If implemented, the VER option will be announced along with the new organizational structure.

Resources will be available on the Human Resources Organizational Changes website throughout the redesign process. RIF and VER timelines — once announced — also will be posted on this website, as well as guidance to help affected employees make informed decisions.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I don't mind them cutting back on days....after all, we CAN survive without mail on Saturday. But if they close our small PO, I'll be upset. It's ALWAYS busy at this PO...and we'd have to go 40 miles to the nearest. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Ours too. We have a population of 189 so our dinky po might not survive the cut. I've been hosting swaps to help with the revenue but if they close it down the nearest one is 25 miles away. No way am I going to host swaps if I have to go that far!! I won't be mailing anything anymore just receiving.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM

I live in a small town too - hope they do not close it. With gas prices going up, I do not want to go any farther than I have to. Will have to plan on mailing anything big only on days I go out.