Making Clothes

Old 04-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Is there anyone here that can turn a drawing of an out fit into a pattern? I would love to know how to do this so that I can make my own designs into a reality. (I love to draw dresses and tops... but refuse to go to school for fashion design due to not wanting to make one of a kind designs for someone else to slap there name on it. but I may take a class or two in that direction so that I can do it for myself) But I'd love learn while I can!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:44 PM

I've sewn clothing for years. I used to watch my mother make her own clothing with no patterns and asked her to please teach me how to do that. She (in her infinite wisdom) said, "No, first you have to learn to do it with a pattern, then I'll teach you the short cuts." This is what I suggest for you too. Take the classes, learn to sew from other's patterns, learn to adjust those patterns to perfectly fit yourself, learn to adjust them to fit others and then you'll have learned what you need to know to make your own. Like that afore mentioned wise woman used to say,
"You can't put the roof on till you build the barn."
However, so that this post isn't a complete downer, take an outfit that fits and cut your own pattern from it without taking it apart. Then sew it together and make it fit you. When you can do that you'll be well on your way.

hint: it's all in the folding.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 AM

Raptureready is correct. I used to do this myself when I was a teenager. If I liked something...I would make my own pattern from it and make it. I of course had my Mom to watch do this when I was growing up. She was a professional seamstress and I learned so much from her!
Thank you Mom!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Pam

I concur!! I cannot leave anything alone and purchase a pattern I like, make it then change it and make again from a different fabric, and do it all over again.

You do not need to reinvent the wheel to learn to drive.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM

I think you have the wrong idea about going to school for fashion design.

I went and graduated and it's not about sewing for someone else. You learn how to make patterns and turn your drawings into reality.
It was a great experience for me! And I learned WAY more than I would have if I didn't go, or if I only took a couple of classes.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Google pattern making software. I think there are several on the market.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM

I have a book called "Make your own patterns" by Rene Bergh. Send me an im if your interested......

Ditter