Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making my rounds to the thrift stores >

Making my rounds to the thrift stores

Making my rounds to the thrift stores

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Default Making my rounds to the thrift stores

once a week I try to make my rounds to the local thrift stores... you never know when a poor little machine will show up looking for a home.......... I will check this posting and if I come across a machine I can let you ladies know.... I would even grab it for you and ship it to you.... I am always on the look out for stuff... as I have alot of people keeping me in mind..............
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Shirley, I also shop the thrift stores. The DAV is next to my pharmacy and everytime I go there I drop in the thrift store. Haven't found anything good lately. About a year ago, I stopped into the same thrift store and I could hardly believe my eyes. There were two Kenmore machines in nice cabinets and one Necchi in a really nice desk type cabinet with three large drawers on the side. The Kenmores were in good condition, but I never tried them out as I have a Necchi that is 57 years old and I was interested in the Necchi. I tried it out and everything seemed to be fine. I paid $29.00 for it and it sews well. The only thing that I can't get to work, which is really why I wanted it, is the knob that drops the feed dogs won't move and I don't see anywhere that I can oil it. I suppose that I will have to have the shop take a look at it. I also tried to find out what year it was made, but everything on line did not give me a clue. Good luck with your Thrift finds.

Lucy
Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Thanks for being on the lookout for everyone...that's what makes the QB great!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Lice321, try just putting some sewing machine oil on the knob and around it it and letting it sit there for a while. The sewing machine oil won't hurt the decals on the older metal machines, and will sometimes help to lubricate the knobs so they can move. At least it won't hurt to do it. Other than that, ask the members on the Vintage sewing machine site. They are all very knowledgeable and willing to share what they know.

Girligirl, I'm looking for some of the 'out of the ordinary' attachments for the low shank sewing machines that I can use for my Singer 99 and the Featherweight machines. I have a button holer and a blind hem attachment and a zigzag attachment. I would like to find things like an underbraider, a blind stitch braider, and other things like that. I have most of the usual attachments that came with the Featherweight machines. If you find anything interesting and it isn't terribly expensive, I'd be interested in things like that. I've been looking here in my small town, and did find a Singer pinking attachment here that I bought. It's neat to use and a lot easier than pinking shears. Thanks.