Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making patient gowns for Hospice patients >

Making patient gowns for Hospice patients

Making patient gowns for Hospice patients

Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

When my brother got sick I made him hospital gowns to match the seasons- used 100 % cotton. They wash up well and he got a kick out of the Halloween ones Maybe find fabrics with her hobbies and interests or that suite her personality. Sadly he never got to wear the Christmas ones- I used the fabric to make ornaments for us

When looking at fabric- how it feels to your hand is a good indicator on how it will wash up - so choose as soft as you can find it - also don't worry too much about the back ties - we found they got in the way and were uncomfortable when he laid on them - I just made sure the back really wrapped around
Old 11-22-2011, 01:26 PM

I have seen a hospital gown/hospice gown with three sleeves which is easy to get on and makes sure that there is nothing exposed as it wraps completely around you. It also means that it doesn't need ties. I just am not sure where to get the pattern but someone on this board must know.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM

You can google and get a free downloadable pattern for hospital gowns that wrap in the back. there are 4 sizes and instructions with it. I think it takes quite a bit of pages to print, then you have to tape the pages together for the pattrern. I have made some and they sew up nicely.
I like the bed jacket idea. Adding that for warmth and comfort would allow you to really make her feel special, and still have the flexiblity to remove for hygiene purposes.
Bless you for your efforts to make her comfortable.