Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Making patient gowns for Hospice patients >

Making patient gowns for Hospice patients

Making patient gowns for Hospice patients

Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Making patient gowns for Hospice patients

Have any of you made attractive hospital gowns for women at home on Hospice? I want my SIL to
look as attractive as possible during her last days & am hoping to make something with pretty colors
of fabric. Any suggestions?
Marilyn
Old 11-19-2011, 06:57 PM

I would use the softest fabric that I could find and a print that displays all that is meaningful to her. God bless you.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Marilyn,
I'm so sorry about your SIL being in hospice. I'm praying that she is kept comfortable and doesn't suffer. Maybe something floral if she likes flowers. Just a thought. Hugsxxxx. I had the letter e automatically return to the next line as you may notice. I noticed since the new changes to the board this is happening
Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 PM

I agree - something very soft and feminine. I'm thinking pale pink with some very soft ruffles somehow ... maybe a small ruffle around the neckline and sleeves?

Welcome from Alabama, Heart of Dixie!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Sorry about your SIL. Bless you for wanting to make her pretty and comfortable. I know that flannel isn't a traditional fabric for hospital gowns but it might be something to consider. It's soft,comfy and warm. As for pattern, color, etc. Do you know her favorite colors? Does she like polka dots? Florals? The possibilities are endless and I'm sure whatever you come up with she will greatly appreciate.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Cotton interlock fabric is very comfortable and comes in many colors. Are you planning hospital gown style? - Open in the back? or a more conventional style?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by marilynr View Post
Have any of you made attractive hospital gowns for women at home on Hospice? I want my SIL to
look as attractive as possible during her last days & am hoping to make something with pretty colors
of fabric. Any suggestions?
Marilyn

I am sorry for your dear SIL and your whole family. Prayers are sent your way. Recently, I found out that the time a patient is in hospice varies wildly. If she is somewhat mobile, something similar to her usual style of regular clothing . . . is she a ruffles and pink girl, a t-shirt and jeans tomboy, a suit wearing leader, etc.? Remember, her style, not yours. However, keep in mind flattering colors, prints and modesty (no thin, see-through fabrics) for her to always look her best, even without her makeup. I recommend soft fabrics too, as she is probably very sensitive to touch. But, please, no collars or ruffles if she is confined to her bed, as they are not comfortable to lay on for hours. Any embellishment should not interfere with her comfort or her required equipment. May God bless you all during this difficult time.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM

You might want to consider making a coordinating bed jacket, too. They are very welcome by the Hospice patients I have known, especially when there are visitors, and the purchased ones can be somewhat dated looking. You are very perceptive to be thinking about her self-esteem at this time. It will mean a lot to her.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Marilyn, you are so sweet to make something that will help your SIL feel pretty. If she tells you that you " shouldn't have" you can say you just wanted to make sure she is warm enough. I will keep you in my prayers. God bless. Di
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL. I've found flannel is awfully good. That's what my mom made my grandmother and what I bought for my dear Aunt at those time. We also cut open the back because that made it so much easier to change garments and hygiene.